Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Integrity of links when Confluence pages are moved

Lisa Carcia January 28, 2014

If I paste a link to a Confluence page into an external location (e.g. a Word doc stored outside of Confluence), and later I move that Confluence page to a different parent in the same space, will the link I pasted into the external location still work?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 28, 2014

It depends on how the link is structured. Each page has a couple ways to structure the URL you could have a link that looks like this ...

http://wiki/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=9699743

or this

http://wiki/display/{spacekey}/Policies+Procedures

The first type of link will reference the page based on the internal id in the database. That link does not change. The second type references the page based on the title. The first one won't change but it is ugly. The second could change if you change the page title, but it is a pretty link. Techincally, there is a third way as well. Each page has a tiny link that woud look like ...

http://wiki/x/h4Bj

The tiny link also doesn't change when you change the page title.

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 28, 2014

Simply changing the parent page will not change the link for any of these cases. It only changes if you change the title for the second case.

0 votes
Matthew J. Horn
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 28, 2014

I've found that when I copy/paste a link, it becomes static. Try to avoid adding links in that way.

0 votes
Lisa Carcia January 28, 2014

Thank you, Davin. I tested it and it worked the way you described (although I only see the second type of link and the tiny link under the "Link to this page" option, not the first type of link you mention).

I think the tiny link will be the safest choice for my needs. Thanks again!

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 28, 2014

Ther first type of link you will mostly see crop up when a page title has a special character that would not work will in a browser url bar. Really, if you know the id of any page you could craft a link to that page by simply changing the number, but mostly you will just see it if the system doesn't like the page title much.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events