Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Integrating Confluence with a Jira installation on a different server

Rick Naik November 6, 2011

Initially we had both our Jira and Confluence installations on the same machine and integration bewteen the two worked fine. However, I've had to move Confluence to a different server for various reasons, and now when I try and use Jira for use administration it doesn't work.

When I enter http://my.jira.com:8080 (our Jira base URL) into the integration wizard I get an error saying "This is not a valid url for JIRA 4.3 or later". I have no idea what is casuing this, since it was working when they were on the same system and I've verified the user information is correct. I'm running Confluence 4.0.

Thanks

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Rick Naik November 8, 2011

I wound up just moving the Jira installation to the same system as Confluence. I was able to access both the Jira and Confluence servers on the correct ports when they were still seperated. I didn't try using the IP, but I don't think that would have worked since then inserting Jira issues into Confluence pages would not have worked correctly, since they would use that IP instead of the correct URL.

Thanks for the help.

0 votes
Pierre Lhoste October 25, 2012

Solved in my case by following : Unable to Add Application Links via HTTPS

• JIRA runs on JAVA6, public IP (https://domain.tld:port) under /home/jira user account, self-signed certificate, imported in ".keystore"
  • CONFLUENCE runs on JAVA7 (same server) on a VPN IP (http://10.1.1.2:anotherport), under '/home/confluence' user account.

All that was needed to enable both :

• `configuration` ➔ `répertoires utilisateurs`
  • `administration` ➔ `application links

was to :

1. add JIRA's self-signed SSL cert to 'confluence' user's keystore : in "/user/confluence", execute "$JAVA_HOME/bin/keytool -import -alias tomcat -file /home/jira/file.cer"
  2. then, to confluence's "setenv.sh", add "-Djavax.net.ssl.trustStore=/home/confluence/.keystore" to the firts "JAVA_OPTS" line

0 votes
jhgorse June 16, 2012

I had this problem with JIRA 5.0.6 and Confluence 4.2.5 as well. Dempset Moore and Sander Brienen are correct in looking for the connectivity issue. I get the impression that the error message is a bit of a red herring and that most people receive the "This is not a valid url for JIRA 4.3 or later" error due to a networking issue.

In my case, because I am on a private network doing standalone installations one one machine, I needed to update my hosts file to recognize the hostname of the server. Kind of weird, but it worked.

I am running 64 bit FreeBSD 9 with no troubles so far into Stage 3 of the Dragon Quest.

Cheers,
Joe

0 votes
Dempsey Moore November 8, 2011

In a browser from the new confluence box browse to Jira using your address. It's likely to fail, if it does use the IP address of the Jira box instead of the DNS name. Don't forget to add the port number when you test it.

0 votes
Sander Brienen [Avisi]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 7, 2011

This is probably due to network problems between the servers. Is there a firewall in between or on one of the servers that is blocking traffic? Can you access one server from the other on the correct port (8080)?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events