Install listenerStart Error

Per Qvindesland April 28, 2017

Hi 

I did a manual update of Confluence from 5.4.4 to 5.10, I experienced some issues with the plugins so I need to revert back to the old version, but when I point it to the 5.4.4 version it fails to start with the following errors:

2017-04-28 08:30:25,798 INFO [main] [com.atlassian.confluence.lifecycle] contextInitialized Starting Confluence 5.4.4 [build 4733 based on commit hash f235dd088df5682b0560ab6fc66ed22c9124c0be]
Apr 28, 2017 8:30:32 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start
SEVERE: Error listenerStart
Apr 28, 2017 8:30:32 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start
SEVERE: Context [] startup failed due to previous errors
Apr 28, 2017 8:30:32 AM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader clearReferencesJdbc
SEVERE: The web application [] registered the JDBC driver [org.hsqldb.jdbc.JDBCDriver] but failed to unregister it when the web application was stopped. To prevent a memory leak, the JDBC Driver has been forcibly unregistered.
Apr 28, 2017 8:30:32 AM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader clearReferencesJdbc
SEVERE: The web application [] registered the JDBC driver [com.mysql.jdbc.Driver] but failed to unregister it when the web application was stopped. To prevent a memory leak, the JDBC Driver has been forcibly unregistered.
SEVERE: The web application [] registered the JDBC driver [org.postgresql.Driver] but failed to unregister it when the web application was stopped. To prevent a memory leak, the JDBC Driver has been forcibly unregistered.
Apr 28, 2017 8:30:32 AM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader clearReferencesThreads
SEVERE: The web application [] appears to have started a thread named [Abandoned connection cleanup thread] but has failed to stop it. This is very likely to create a memory leak.
log4j:ERROR LogMananger.repositorySelector was null likely due to error in class reloading, using NOPLoggerRepository.
Apr 28, 2017 8:30:35 AM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol start
INFO: Starting Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8090
Apr 28, 2017 8:30:35 AM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina start
INFO: Server startup in 10472 ms

I notice the error "Abandoned connection cleanup thread" which seems to be causing this, but can anyone tell me how to resolve it?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 28, 2017

Did you restore the pre-upgrade data before going back to the older version?

Sorry could you please explain how to do this?

Maybe a little more information, I downoaded the 5.10 not the installer, extracted it to /opt where the 5.4.4 directory is also, then changed a symlink named atlassian-confluence so the init script can start confluence but due to issues with plugins and a time constrain then I decided to revert back.

Changed the symlinink back to 5.4.4 started confluence but it stops on this error.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 28, 2017

When you try to move to a newer version, Confluence upgrades the data.  The data for 5.10 is not valid for 5.4, so you can't just swap back.  There is no downgrade route, you need to restore the data from a backup.

I suspect your 5.4 is failing simply because it's finding bits of 5.10 in the data and possibly in the installation.

Ok but if it's not starting then how can I take the export I did and import it? 

And many thanks for taking the time looking at this.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 28, 2017

You'll need to install a clean empty copy of 5.4, then you'll be able to restore the export into that.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events