Inserting a link to a web page does not work, due to the number of characters?

Heering Ligthart October 27, 2011

External links work with the "insert link" dialog, but one link we use does not work. The link (different text or original) changes into text when the page is saved.

Can it be the number of or certain characters that are in the web link?

Used link:

http://www.logistiek.nl/blogs/artikelen/id477-Doorslaan_op_lean_plaszakken_en_andere_ongein.html?cmpid=NLC|logistiek|27-okt-2011|Doorslaan%20op%20lean:%20plaszakken%20en%20andere%20ongein

6 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
David at David Simpson Apps
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 27, 2011

It's because of invalid characters in the URL

URLEncode these

• "|" use %7C instead
  • ":" use %3A instead

Hi David,

I changed the "|" and ":" but still the same results. And if I copy the changed link into a browser the link does not work anymore.

Do I mis something or do you have other suggestions?

John Masson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 1, 2011

Hi Heering,

You might have missed one of them perhaps, I just tried out David's suggestion, resulting in http://www.logistiek.nl/blogs/artikelen/id477-Doorslaan_op_lean_plaszakken_en_andere_ongein.html?cmpid=NLC%7Clogistiek%7C27-okt-2011%7CDoorslaan%20op%20lean%3A%20plaszakken%20en%20andere%20ongein and it linked up ok in Confluence 4.

John

Heering Ligthart November 1, 2011

Hi John, David,

Thank you both, I works now for me. Probably missed a character somewhere.

1 vote
viruganesh November 25, 2019

add the link using text edit mode. it works better. Visual edit mode adds a square brackets in some scenarios, that makes the link to fail.

1 vote
Pavel Bryukhanov July 8, 2019

I had a similar problem of inserting links from SharePoint. 

Here a quick video what I have done. I hope it helps. 

https://youtu.be/1416Mw38I84

0 votes
Barbara Green November 1, 2011

You can always make a tiny URL and insert that instead (www.tinyurl.com)

0 votes
David Peterson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 27, 2011

Technically, there is a 256 character limit on URLs, although most browsers seem to allow higher limits. I don't think that Confluence does any checking on it though, although that may have changed in Confluence 4.

0 votes

After saving the question I see that the link does work here, if we copy-paste the link in our confluence page it does not work.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events