Inserting a link to a web page does not work, due to the number of characters?

External links work with the "insert link" dialog, but one link we use does not work. The link (different text or original) changes into text when the page is saved.

Can it be the number of or certain characters that are in the web link?

Used link:

http://www.logistiek.nl/blogs/artikelen/id477-Doorslaan_op_lean_plaszakken_en_andere_ongein.html?cmpid=NLC|logistiek|27-okt-2011|Doorslaan%20op%20lean:%20plaszakken%20en%20andere%20ongein

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Accepted answer
David Simpson Community Champion Oct 27, 2011

It's because of invalid characters in the URL

URLEncode these

• "|" use %7C instead
  • ":" use %3A instead

Hi David,

I changed the "|" and ":" but still the same results. And if I copy the changed link into a browser the link does not work anymore.

Do I mis something or do you have other suggestions?

Hi Heering,

You might have missed one of them perhaps, I just tried out David's suggestion, resulting in http://www.logistiek.nl/blogs/artikelen/id477-Doorslaan_op_lean_plaszakken_en_andere_ongein.html?cmpid=NLC%7Clogistiek%7C27-okt-2011%7CDoorslaan%20op%20lean%3A%20plaszakken%20en%20andere%20ongein and it linked up ok in Confluence 4.

John

Hi John, David,

Thank you both, I works now for me. Probably missed a character somewhere.

After saving the question I see that the link does work here, if we copy-paste the link in our confluence page it does not work.

Technically, there is a 256 character limit on URLs, although most browsers seem to allow higher limits. I don't think that Confluence does any checking on it though, although that may have changed in Confluence 4.

You can always make a tiny URL and insert that instead (www.tinyurl.com)

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Oct 24, 2018 in Confluence

Atlassian Research opportunity with Confluence templates

Do you use templates with Confluence? Take part in a remote 1-hr workshop. You'll receive USD $100 for your time!   We're looking for people to participate in a   remote 1-hr workshop...

1,169 views 20 14
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you