cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inline comments - how to no spam everyone

Mick Davidson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 7, 2016

Hello,

I've added some inline comments to a page that are notes to myself. However, when I do this, and even though I use @<myusername> to direct the comment to myself, everyone who's edited the page gets notified. (But I don't!)

Is this intended behaviour, and if so, how can I stop it happening?

I'm a tech writer and need to be able to add notes to the developer-created content that I'm reviewing and will use in our client docs.

Also, whilst I love inline comments, we seem to have lost the ability to grab content and use it in a comment at the bottom of the page. Which is a bit of a loss IMO.

We're using Sever 5.9.9 running Chrome latest.

Cheers.

2 answers

1 vote
Kate _izi_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 7, 2016

Hi Mick,

You can try the Talk add-on for this case. It allows you to restrict viewing of inline comments to users or groups. You can configure default Space viewing permissions or apply individual viewing restrictions to specific talks.

Users who can't view Talk inline comments won't be notified on the activity in those discussions.

Kind regards,

Katerina Kolina [StiltSoft]

Mick Davidson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 8, 2016

Thank you Katerina, I'll have a look. smile

0 votes
Rob Woodgate
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 7, 2016

Hi Mick,

This is not you spamming everyone, it's intended functionality.  When you create, edit or comment on a page you are automatically set to "watch" the page.  When someone else edits or comments that page all of the "watchers" get notified.  The Watching page on Confluence help should give you all of the information you need.

You can manually toggle watching or unwatching a page by clicking the Watch button on the top right (it'll actually say Watching if you're already watching the page).

On a side note, if someone is following you, they'll also get notified when you comment on things.

Rodney Hughes
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 7, 2016

I agree with Rob

Confluence is a collective Knowledge Management System.

But Knowledge is not Knowledge if people don't know when new Knowledge has been created or edited.

But if you want your own private 'notes to self', create a copy of the page and set the Page View Restrictions to just yourself - then you can do whatever you want in total privacy, but obviously the copy is not automatically updated from the source page.

BTW - if you want to be notified of your own actions you need t set that option in your Email Settings available via the bottom of the Watch page of your profile

Mick Davidson
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 8, 2016

Thanks chaps, I do know all that of course. However, because the inline comments can be used with the mentions functionality, I assumed that this meant that updates from inline comments only went to the person specified. I know better now. smile

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events