Inheritance is no longer working?

Joshua C Haynes April 28, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Page Restrictions

I have a structure setup under a space for IT.  I've granted everyone view permissions to the space.  I've granted the IT group edit permissions on the top page and then created a bunch of child pages.  The IT group can't edit anything.  What's the deal?  It seems like only space permissions apply to allow editing and not page permissions.  

1 answer

0 votes
Adrian Reid April 28, 2016

From this page- https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/page-restrictions-139414.html

"How do inherited restrictions work? 

View restrictions are inherited, which means a restriction applied to one page will cascade down to any child pages.  Edit restrictions are not inherited, which means pages need to be restricted individually." (my bold)

Joshua C Haynes April 28, 2016

So how are people handling large amounts of pages?  I only want people to be able to view our pages, and only some people to edit a subsection of the space.  If one of those subsections has 1000 pages underneath it, I have to manually go to all 1000 pages and grant them edit?

Adrian Reid April 28, 2016

Yep my problem too. My solution is pretty bad but I'm adding it here to show that there's a problem. Editable pages were moved to a separate space where users had space edit permissions. I then added a redirect from the initial uneditable space to the new editable space.

Looking forward to hear a better solution, or plans to make inheritance for edit restrictions an option.

Tim
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 29, 2016

Well, if the amount of pages are that large, put it in a separate space and use the space permissions as Adrian suggested.

If you don't have a scenario with external registration from the internet, for example in a corporate environment, where you know your users, I suggest to just leave it open to edit for anyone. People are scared at first, that some unauthorized person is going to edit their pages, from my experience this rarely happens. After all, everything is versioned and tagged with names / dates, so if there will ever be an incident, you can just revert the page and give the person a call.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events