Indenting only one line at a time

Stephen Kairys March 10, 2016

Running Confluence 5.4.3.

I have an instruction set in outline form e.g.

1) Go to the MAIN MENU.
2) Choose NEW ITEM.
3) On the NEW ITEM Screen:
    a) Enter the item number.
    b) Enter the item name.
    c) Click Save. 
4) If you have another item to enter, return to step 2.

In the above:

I pressed SHIFT-ENTER to avoid double-spacing between lines. (I'm guessing this form is powered by the Confluence engine.)

I manually press the spacebar 4 times to indent.

Problem is, I imported a Word Doc via the Office Connector and it lost my intending. Rather than have to manually fix numerous lines, I clicked the Indent button; however, all lines in the paragraph indented.

I understand the above is standard behavior. Accordingly, is there a way to insert a paragraph break after each line without causing whitespace to appear before the next line?

As a related question, does pressing ENTER automatically insert a paragraph break?

Thanks,

Steve

1 answer

0 votes
Peter T
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 10, 2016

Stephen,

this could be quite frustrating. I find that the best way to transfer formatted data is copy/paste. The other importers/connectors does not work as good for me.

Now some explanation about the indentation

When you hit Enter you are creating new paragraph and you are right it inserts carriage return (Windows), when you hit Shift+Enter you are creating new line. What is the difference? If the paragraph formatting is such as there is before and/or after spacing or in other words the spacing between the paragraphs is bigger than the spacing between the lines, then using only Enter will create bigger separation with between the lines.

This all depends on how is the formatting setup.

Indentation is a paragraph formatting setting is applies to whole paragraph. That is why you see this result.

If you don't like the embedded styles there is some possibility of tweaking the described here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/styling-fonts-in-confluence-174751968.html

Let me know if you need more information on the topic.

Cheers,

Peter T

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events