Import from word drops the headings number?

Tal_Cohen August 24, 2016

Hi,

I have imported a word document into a confluence page, but in the result page the heading numbers are missing. Is there a way to import the document while keeping the numbers? 

Thanks

2 answers

0 votes

Hi Benjamin,

Thanks! I have tried the macro, it looks good. but we are using the "Split per heading" option , and therefore H1 (originally in WORD) becomes the page name and H2 are set as "Heading 1" . as a results (after using the macro) the numbers in the page "losses" a level (for example :  1.1 in "WORD" becomes 1.)

Any ideas ?  

Thanks

Tal

Benjamin Weinheimer-Erben (mgm-tp)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 24, 2016

Hi Tal,

not exactly, but if you edit your macro, you get to the options and here you can define "number-format=custom". Within the given fields for h1 to h6 below you can define quite precise how they should be numbered. Please see the documentation for more information: http://addons.avisi.com/numbered-headings/documentation/ as there are tons of options how to format your numbers.

My first guess will be something like

• On your first page
    • h1 =1.[h1.decimal]
    • h2 = 1.[h1.decimal.[h2.decimal]
  • On your second page
    • h1 = 2.[h1.decimal]
    • h2 = 2.[h1.decimal].[h2.decimal]

Hope you find a solution that fits your needs smile
Benjamin

Bill Bailey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 24, 2016

Speaking as a tech writer, numbered headings are so 80s! wink I don't think they make sense in a Wiki and in the age of hyperlinking and full-text search. They were a method of easy reference for print documents before desktop publishing was commonplace.

And trying to reproduce them in Confluence requires some workarounds, and you will have to changed them if you move a page, or what if you include a page in another page tree? Then the heading numbers won't make sense. Plus you will have to manually update the numbers in any hyperlinks to those headings – a real pain.

My suggestion is to drop numbered headings. I have told my customers that for more than 15 years. No one misses them a month later.

Hi @Benjamin Weinheimer, Thanks. it looks much better now

Hi @Bill Bailey,  Thanks for the tip . we will consider this smile 

0 votes
Benjamin Weinheimer-Erben (mgm-tp)
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 24, 2016

Hi Tal,

If the numbers are part of the heading format in word, there is no option to import it with the numbers, as they will be generated, depending on position and the number of previous headings.

I suggest you have a look on the following plugin: Numbered Headings

Here you can define how your headings on your page should be numbered.

greetings
Benjamin

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events