Import Standalone Backup to OnDemand

I had a server failure which resulted in my Standalone Confluence going down. All I have is the ZIP backup file.

I figured now would be a good time to test out OnDemand and remove the hassle of administration, but I can't seem to get this to work. I did a Site Import from the ZIP backup, but it only brings over the users. When I do a "Space Import" it says it's not in the right format.

Is it possible to use my Standalone ZIP Backup to configure the Cloud instance the same way, with the same content?

Update
I have followed the following steps:

• Install the latest version of Confluence (5.6.1) from the website onto a Linux machine
  • Restore the instance from the Backup.zip file
    • This was successful, and all my spaces are present.
  • Export a new backup file.
  • Import the new backup.zip file to the Confluence Cloud
    • This was unsuccessful. The spaces are not present.

Is this a known issue? I am curious because there are other known issues with Confluence 5.6.1.

1 answer

Hi Derek,

Yes, you can do the import just be aware that there are two ways of doing so.

If you have signed up for:

1. Confluence Cloud Only
  2. JIRA Cloud + Confluence Cloud

If you select (1) Confluence Cloud Only, you will be able to do a full backup and to do the restore on the new subscription.
If you select (2) JIRA Cloud + Confluence Cloud, you will have to export and import space by space.

Both ways, you can still refer to the export and import links.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Cheers!

Thanks, but as I mentioned in my message - all I have is the automatic backup ZIP file from my old Server instance. I don't have an exported XML copy of the data. I have used this ZIP file with the steps mentioned in your import link, and it does not bring over the spaces. Any suggestions?

Derek, for the import to work perfectly you'd have to be using the latest version of Confluence Server. Otherwise, it can have some incompatibilities problems. What you can do now, is: try to figure out what version of Confluence Server your backup.zip file belongs to. Download a free trial of this version. Import your file into the Confluence Server. Then, update your confluence to the latest version and generate a new backup file. After that, you should be able to import the new file into your Confluence Cloud instance. Please let us know if you have any further questions. Kind regards, Elisa

Thank you for the feedback. I doubt it is that old, considering I just installed it on the server about a month ago. I would recommend this be a bit more flexible. The main reason I was considering Confluence Cloud was to avoid the administrative effort. Because I will have to set up Confluence and import my data there anyway, I will probably just continue to use a self-hosted instance instead of using the Cloud version.

Please see updated post.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Kesha Thillainayagam
Posted Apr 13, 2018 in Confluence

We want to hear how your non-technical teams are using Confluence!

Hi Community! Kesha (kay-sha) from the Confluence marketing team here! Can you share stories with us on how your non-technical (think Marketing, Sales, HR, legal, etc.) teams are using Confluen...

1,716 views 25 10
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you