Images not appearing in Word imports

Tim Penner July 16, 2014

I've got some word documents coming from a weird source. They originate in Framemaker. Framemaker does a much better job exporting to html than rtf, so I pickup the html and doctor it a bit to remove junk that Framemaker produces. Then I open the html in Word, save it as Word files and then do the confluence import. Problem is, the images get lost. They're there in word, from the html, but confluence doesn't pick them up.

Does anybody know what might be happening here? It's really a bummer to have to figure out which images from the original framemaker belong where in confluence.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Tim Penner July 17, 2014

I love a good mystery, but there have been a couple too many lately. I'll let this one go as such. I'm importing into a single page without splitting and the bug is about document splitting. I suspect there's something in the way that Word transforms html that confuses the importer. Of course, Microsoft developers wouldn't know this was happening if images were perfectly visible in Word. I have tried importing from a slightly different direction, and I don't lose the images but, worse, I lose all structure.

0 votes
Tim Penner July 17, 2014

I love a good mystery, but there have been a couple too many lately. I'll let this one go as such. I suspect there's something in the way that Word transforms html that confuses the importer. Of course, Microsoft developers wouldn't know this was happening if images were perfectly visible in Word. I have tried importing from a slightly different direction, but, worse than losing images, I lose all structure.

0 votes
Guilherme Nedel [Atlassian]
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 17, 2014

Hello Tim, turns out we have a reported bug for images not getting to the application when using the Word Import, it is documented in CONF-21852. You may like to add yourself as a watcher and describe your usage scenario as well.

Hope this helps.

Tim Penner July 17, 2014

Thanks, Guilherme, for bringing pointing this out. It turns out that this bug is about problems with word documents that are being split and (I didn't mention this but) I'm importing as a single document.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events