I would like to setup a confluence read only group for users that have Jira access.

Is it possible to setup a group in JIRA that has access to Confluence as Read-only?

I have two sets of user population the JIRA users and a smaller subset that are also Confluence users (those that consume a license).  

I know I can set up JIRA to be the identity manager for confluence.  But not sure how to go about this, if possible.

Thank you for your help.

Michela

1 answer

0 vote
Ann Worley Atlassian Team Sep 18, 2017

Hi Michela,

I understand you would like a group of your Jira users to view Confluence content as read only, and not take up Confluence licenses.

There are a couple of approaches you can take. If you have Jira Service Desk, your portal customers can be granted read-only access to linked knowledge base spaces as described in Serving customers with a knowledge base.

If you don't have Jira Service Desk, you could open up the Confluence instance to anonymous access. The instructions are on this page: Setting Up Public Access 

This article has some good details on how the licensing works: Confluence: Read-only access and licensing

We have this suggestion ticket open that may interest you: Allow unlicensed, authenticated users to have anonymous read only access If you vote or comment on it, you will be added to notifications.

Finally, I was not sure if you were asking how to connect Confluence to Jira for user management; in case you would like to, here is the article: Connecting to Crowd or JIRA for User Management. You may leave your Confluence internal users in place and add the Jira users, please see: Managing Multiple Directories.

Thanks,
Ann

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Tuesday in Confluence

We want to see the templates you've created in Confluence!

Hi Community, Jessica here from the Confluence Product Marketing team!  July’s community challenge is all about sharing pictures  — and as an extension of our first post on what ...

407 views 17 9
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you