Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to copy attachment from a parent page to a child page

Chris McEntee July 8, 2016

I have a parent page with a button to create a child page.  What I would like the child page to do is copy a selection of documents from the parent.  I specifically want a copy so that the user can edit the document on the child page and not change the source documents of the parent page

1 answer

0 votes
Rodney Hughes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 8, 2016

oh my goodness .... you are going to end up with a mess of conflicting documents.  sad

Downloading/uploading is a real pain - especially getting people to retain the exact same file name.

I would question why are you using documents as attachments and not just using text in the body of the page itself for direct editing

But if you must use document attachments, note as well that new versions of the exact same file name attachments are version archived - i.e. uploading a new version will put the old version in the attachment history seen by clicking the ">" chevron to the left of the file name on the Attachments page via the ellipsis (three dot icon).
So that means if someone fiddles the main page document you can still see who did it and if it has track changes on then see precisely what they changed - if you don't like it, restore the previous version.  AT least you don't have multiple versions of the same document on different pages

But to answer the question: go to the attachments on the Parent via the ellipsis (three dot icon) and at the bottom of the list select Download all - that will give you a zip file to your PC

Expand the zip file, select the ones you want on the Child page and use drag and drop to the Child page.

Chris McEntee July 11, 2016

Maybe confluence is not the right product or I did not describe the situation correctly. 

I work on a Naval installation program.  We have to field a system on 100+ ships.

We have template documents that I want loaded on the parent page.  Then when one our install leads is assigned to a specific installation they can click a button that will create a new child page and COPY documents specific to the installation based on labels that I can create.  Then the lead for the installation would be able to take the templates and update them for there specific job.

Good example would be the cover page.  We have a template of how the cover should look.  What I want is a copy to be downloaded with as little user input (don't want everyone to be administrators) to the child page and they can update the template with the name of the ship they will be installing and the planed dates for the installation without changing the "master" template. 

Then as the lead for this project I could update any template on the parent page and be sure that every installer from that point on would be using the correct template.

Rodney Hughes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 11, 2016

Your "ship" manager can simply copy your page with the template documents to their Space.  That will copy all documents attached to the page.  But I gather that some "ship" managers don't need all the templates?

is it a problem if they get more than they need?

or you can make a series of child pages with selected sub-groups of all the templates and they copy the required child page.

or you can make a series of zip files with the various template combinations and have those zip files as the attachments on the page (rather than individual documents) - you just update the zip file with new versions of each template.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events