I need to do a confluence upgrade to 5.4 and a server and database migration?

I need to do a confluence upgrade from v5.0 to v5.4 and a migration from a windows desktop using oracle to a linux virtual server using MySql. We also use the EAR-WARS edition which adds some complexity. There are also some in house plugins which broke and needed to be fixed on our last upgrade so I am suspecting the same problem this time around. Does anyone have any advice on the order we should perfrom these steps? do you upgrade first on windows and then migrate? or migrate to linux and MySql and then do the upgrade? should I fix the plugins after the upgrade on windows and prior to migration or just wait till the end to start fixing the problems? I have read through the different migration documentation but I am still unsure really where to start and which step I should be doing first.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Accepted answer
Davin Studer Community Champion Mar 19, 2014

You should do this in a test environment first. Backup your db and Confluence App and restore them to another machine. Atlassian has a document for migrating to another machine. I'll put the link below. As for which to do first upgrade or migrate I don't think it matters much but test the process and follow the same order when you do prod.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Migrating+Confluence+Between+Servers

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Oct 24, 2018 in Confluence

Atlassian Research opportunity with Confluence templates

Do you use templates with Confluence? Take part in a remote 1-hr workshop. You'll receive USD $100 for your time!   We're looking for people to participate in a   remote 1-hr workshop...

1,030 views 15 13
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you