I'm replacing a MediaWiki site to improve ease of use and administration. Is Confluence right for me?

The MediaWiki is used for artists to record the history of artist run galleries in Australia. Currently the wiki formatting is prevening some from contributing, and the administration burden of installing new extesions and updating the MediaWiki code is very timeconsuming.

There is not a budget for this project, and is currently supported by myself on a low cost but reliable web host.

Is Confluence the product that I should be looking at? I feel it may be more for enterprise, but would like to hear from other users experiences.

3 answers

0 vote

Hi Nicholas,

I'm not the best person to indicate Confluence to you as I work for Atlassian and you might think that my opinion would not be a personal one, however I recommend you to give a shot at trying and testing confluence. You can create an evaluation license and test during the evaluation time. We can also extend the evaluation if you want to test for a extended time.

Regards,

Rodrigo

0 vote
Davin Studer Community Champion Feb 02, 2014

I would echo Rodrigo saying download the evaluation and give it a try. As for your budget you mention there is not budget for it. How many people need to be able to log in? That all depends on how many people need to log into the system. If you can get away with 10, then it's pretty cheap ... past that the price could get pretty steep if you have no budget for it.

As for ease of maintenance and contribution I would say it is top notch. In my opinion it is loads better than media wiki in terms of available plugins, communty support, and ease of use.

Many thanks for your answers Rodrigo and Davin,

I will certainly download the evaluation to try out. As the project needs to be able to allow a large number of casual editors that may only make a single contribution and them move on, the tier model of Confluence may not be suitable.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Kesha Thillainayagam
Posted Apr 13, 2018 in Confluence

We want to hear how your non-technical teams are using Confluence!

Hi Community! Kesha (kay-sha) from the Confluence marketing team here! Can you share stories with us on how your non-technical (think Marketing, Sales, HR, legal, etc.) teams are using Confluen...

370 views 20 10
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you