I have issue with the attachments history

Assen Antonov December 11, 2017

Hello,

I have problem with my attachments history. Desolately I can't say when it happened.

It looks like on most of my pages the attachments (images) appear the same version throughout all the history entries.

Can someone please help me fix this?

Thanks in advance,

Assen

2 answers

0 votes
Assen Antonov December 19, 2017

Is there anyone else, willing to help?

A.

0 votes
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 11, 2017

Hi Assen,

Are the images really attached or were they possibly pasted from other pages/the web? Please see copy and pasting web images will not attach the image to the page

If we are running into the bug linked above, to fix the pages so that the image versions change, it looks like you would have to paste the images into an image editor and then attach them.

I look forward to hearing whether the images were pasted in versus attached and then inserted. Please also let me know what version of Confluence you are experiencing the issue on.

Thanks,
Ann

Assen Antonov December 11, 2017

Hello Ann,

Thank you for your reply.

The images were added to the page from a hard drive via the attachments page or drag and drop over the page it self. After which inserted in to the page using the image search tool and after a new image with the same name uploaded to replace the existing ones.

Regards,

A.

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 11, 2017

Just to make sure I understand, is it the case that the versions are listed on the attachments view, but when you check them they are all the same? Or are the historical versions not listed?

For example I have version 1 and version 2 of these two attachments listed:

Screen Shot 2017-12-11 at 10.39.50 AM.pngI look forward to hearing what version of Confluence you are using, or if you are using Confluence Cloud.

When the images with the same names were uploaded was that done in the Confluence UI or via API or WebDav?

Please let me know what you are doing when you access the attachment history. Do you need to retrieve or restore some older images?

Assen Antonov December 12, 2017

Hello Ann,

The case is that the versions are listed on the attachments view, but when I check them they are all the same.

The Confluence version that I use is 6.3.1.

We are using drag and drop to upload images with the same name. I guess that means that we are using the Confluence UI.

I hope that helps.

Thanks,

A.

Assen Antonov December 14, 2017

Hello,

Are there any news on your investigation?

A.

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
December 19, 2017

Hi Assen,

On a Confluence 6.3.1 test instance I used drag and drop in the Confluence editor to add an image (.png) attachment with the same name. The two versions are different when I go to the attachment list. 

It is worth noting that the procedure is a little unusual because when you drag and drop an image into the editor the image will be displayed on the page immediately. If the intention is to replace a current version it is then necessary to delete the image displayed when you drag and drop the second time.

To isolate the issue, let's see if it is still happening or only on the older pages. Please create a test page and try to reproduce the issue by drag and dropping an attachment twice with the same name but different content, and then checking the versions that are created.

If the behavior is still happening on new pages we can investigate environmental issues to troubleshoot, if it is historical pages only then we will focus more on how they were generated and how they are currently stored (storage format).

Thanks,

Ann

Assen Antonov December 19, 2017

Hello Ann,

Thank you for your reply. I created a brand new page and it looks like the version history of the image files uploaded by the described method is working just fine. 

But with older pages all the files in a certain branch from the attachment history are replaced by the most recent version when we upload a new image in said branch.

I did some major changes on the environment when I took over control of it, but it was quite some time ago. I migrated to new server (VM hosted on a Hyper-V server) and reverse proxyed the instances of Jira and Confluence using XAMPP for Windows. They reside on the same machine. I can't tell if any of these actions may be the cause of the issue that I have now as we recently discovered it and we are unable to track it back in time to pinpoint the exact moment when it happened. 

Regards,

A.

Assen Antonov January 8, 2018

Hello Ann,

I'm planning to upgrade my Jira and Confluence to latest versions tomorrow. I'll let you know if that changes anything.

A.

Assen Antonov January 16, 2018

Hello Ann,

I have upgraded Confluence to v. 6.6.1 and for some pages it looks like the attachment history is working by some extent.
We have now the new (current) revision, and the one before that. But the new revision replaces one of three images in the history.

Regards,

A.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events