Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I cannot get Chrome and other Browsers to open Shortcut files added to filelists?

Blaine Wozny August 10, 2017

I have created shortcuts to files that are constantly updated on our local drives (send to desktop as shortcut), I have then added these shortcuts to a filelist on Confluence up until recently these have worked wonderfully. Now our IE has been updated and alot of us are now using chrome when I attempt to download and open these files they now no longer work does anyone have any IDEAS ??? 

2 answers

1 vote
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 15, 2017

Hi Blaine,

there are plugins for Chrome that add such a functionality to the browser,  e.g. "LocalLinks" 

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 15, 2017

But I agree with Ann, if there's no urgent need for hosting the files locally, add them to your Confluence. 

0 votes
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 15, 2017

Hi Blaine,

Please see: Cannot link to local files from within Confluence.

Modern browsers have security features that prevent linking from remote web pages to local content. URLs that begin with the file:// URI Scheme can only be loaded directly (by typing them into the location bar) or from pages that are loaded using the file:// URI scheme.

The suggested workaround is to host the files on a web server.

Thanks,

Ann

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events