• Community
  • Products
  • Confluence
  • Questions
  • I applied page restrictions to a group but now each group member has to request to be granted access. Is that correct? I don't want to have to grant access to each person?

I applied page restrictions to a group but now each group member has to request to be granted access. Is that correct? I don't want to have to grant access to each person?

Suzi Westmoreland April 13, 2016

2 answers

0 votes
Suzi Westmoreland April 13, 2016

Cody, thanks for the quick reply. The parent page actually has no restrictions; it's open to everyone.I did read about inherited permissions and I did check the parent page. Any other suggestions?

Thanks so much,

Suzi

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 13, 2016

Hmmmmmmmm....  What sort of permissions do you have to the Space itself?  Do you have administration access to the Space?

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 13, 2016

Oh, another thing to check is to make sure that the group you're trying to restrict has access to the Space as well.  Space permissions override everything else, so if the group doesn't have any access to the Space, the restrictions you're setting won't have any effect.

0 votes
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 13, 2016

Hi Suzi!

Yeah, that's definitely not right.  And just to double-check, you've given that group Viewing and Edit restrictions on that specific page?  Hopefully it's as easy as that.  smile

But, my gut tells me that you're running into an inherited permissions issue.  Basically, there's a parent page to the page that you've set restrictions on that has tighter access restrictions, which are cascading down and (essentially) overwriting the restrictions you're setting on the group.  

(You can read more about inherited restrictions, among other things, here.)

The first step I'd take is see if there are any parent pages that have restrictions set, and if so, make sure the group you're trying to add restrictions to are also included in those parent pages.

Good luck!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events