Hyperlink doesn't work

Beatrice Bonnano February 13, 2018

Hi There,

I have been using the hyperlink function all day on several documents and it worked but suddenly it's stopped working.

Any ideas why and how can I fix this?

Thank you in advance,

Beatrice

1 answer

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 13, 2018

Hi Beatrice,

Can you clarify with us what is happening when you say the hyperlink function isn't working?

Please explain the behavior you are experiencing so we can better understand your issue. Feel free to include screenshots, if it will help.

Lastly, let us know your Confluence version so we can compare.

Regards,

Shannon

Beatrice Bonnano February 14, 2018

Hi Shannon,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

Basically, I opened a document, I wrote the words "SECURE NOTE" and then highlighted them and hyperlinked them by clicking on the hyperlink symbol.

Once I linked the words to a new web address, I closed the hyperlink window and noticed the words were not linked.

Also, I have just tried again this morning and couldn't even edit the page because of the screenshot below.

The Confluence version we use is Cloud.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Beatrice

Screen Shot 2018-02-14 at 09.55.16.png

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 14, 2018

Hello Beatrice,

When you get that 2nd error, can you show me what you see in the Developer Console on your browser?

The link issue and the error you get when editing a page may be two separate issues.

Could you let me know if I may also test this on your instance using our system administrator user? Let me know if there's a particular page or space that I can test on.

Regards,

Shannon

Beatrice Bonnano February 16, 2018

Hi Shannon,

Please find attached a screenshot of the Developer Console.

To test the error, for example, you could go to the page called VMCientBDC.

Try to hyperlink the words "SECURE NOTE" to a web link and then publish the page.

You will notice that the hyperlink function didn't work.

Feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.

Thanks,

Beatrice

Screen Shot 2018-02-16 at 09.24.56.png

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
February 16, 2018

Beatrice,

Apologies for not being clear, could you switch to the Network tab, and show me what you see there? That will help to understand what isn't being sent.

Regards,

Shannon

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
February 16, 2018

Beatrice,

I also just wanted to let you know I tried to go into the instance and find the page VMCientBDC but I wasn't able to. I'm checking the SERVERS space as well, per your example.

Could you let me know where that is so I can test it myself?

Shannon

Beatrice Bonnano February 16, 2018

Hi Shannon,

Please find attached the Newtork tab, I recorded what I did.

Also the page I mentioned is in:

Servers and hosting > Xtraordinary environment > Windows Railo Servers > VM Client BDC (https://pixl8cloud.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/SERVERS/pages/527759/VMClientBDC)

Kind regards,

Beatrice

Screen Shot 2018-02-16 at 17.38.45.png

Screen Shot 2018-02-16 at 17.41.17.pngScreen Shot 2018-02-16 at 17.37.26.pngScreen Shot 2018-02-16 at 17.38.19.pngScreen Shot 2018-02-16 at 17.40.20.pngScreen Shot 2018-02-16 at 17.40.36.pngScreen Shot 2018-02-16 at 17.38.31.pngScreen Shot 2018-02-16 at 17.41.29.pngScreen Shot 2018-02-16 at 17.39.58.pngScreen Shot 2018-02-16 at 17.40.08.pngScreen Shot 2018-02-16 at 17.39.42.pngScreen Shot 2018-02-16 at 17.39.29.pngScreen Shot 2018-02-16 at 17.38.59.pngScreen Shot 2018-02-16 at 17.41.37.pngScreen Shot 2018-02-16 at 17.41.07.pngScreen Shot 2018-02-16 at 17.39.15.pngScreen Shot 2018-02-16 at 17.40.46.pngScreen Shot 2018-02-16 at 17.40.55.png

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
February 16, 2018

Beatrice,

Thank you for providing the link. I went to the page, clicked edit, highlighted the words, and inserted a link to Google, then saved the page, and it does appear the hyperlink saved.

1. Are you able to replicate this in multiple browsers?
  2. Do all users have the same problem?
  3. When you disable all add-ons in your browser, does the issue continue?
  4. Finally, when you attempt this in Incognito Mode, can you still replicate the error?

As for the Developer Tools, we need to see the actual errors that occur when you replicate the problem.

To do this, while you have the Network tab open, please click the icon in the top left that is the international prohibition sign. This will clear the current results. Then, replicate the issue, and you should see what comes up that is causing it not to work.

Regards,

Shannon

Beatrice Bonnano February 19, 2018

Hi Shannon,

I have tried again, this time I have changed your link to the one I needed to add and it worked.

However, when I try to hyperlink the same words on the next document the hyperlink doesn't work.

I am currently using Google Chrome and I have hyperlinked a lot of words before with this browser. Not sure why suddenly it stopped working.

I asked a colleague of mine to test this and he managed to replicate the issue.

If I disable add-ons I still have the same issue, same with incognito mode.

Actually, now that I have clicked on the international prohibition sign, the hyperlink worked!

Does this mean the issue is fixed?

Kind regards,

Beatrice

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
February 20, 2018

Beatrice,

That's very strange; the symbol on your browser just clears the log entry, so I'm not sure why it would have fixed the issue. 

Could you test it again, and if it's broken again try clearing your browser cache?

Regards,

Shannon

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events