How you can read the page properties with a custom macro?

Patrick Doucet July 27, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Page Properties Macro

I would like to read the page properties and display the result in a custom layout.

I know the Free Plugin "GetMetadata" from Comala but with this plugin I can't read metadata in another page...

Can you help me?

Thank you!

4 answers

0 votes
BKippelt December 4, 2018

Does anyone have an example of a PagePropertyExtractor class in Java that can read the page properties from the page body?

I want to build a simple search with which I can filter for the page properties. Now it would only work afterwards. That means, I search for pages by title and filter the result by the specified page properties.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-questions/How-can-I-filter-my-Confluence-search-by-page-properties/qaq-p/953887#M126706

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 31, 2016

It is not possible to lift the content of the 'page properties macro' directly. I'd like explain the difference between some things here – 

• The question is pertaining to the Page Properties Macro, which is a page macro inserted into a page. A while in the past, this macro was called the Metadata Macro. It is called {details} in the storage format. Again, this has no direct API.
  • Bill Bailey is referring to the storage mechanism Properties, which can be applied to various content types in Confluence via the public APIs.

I believe the Page Properties Report macro searches for pages with the correct labels on them, parses the page content for the Page Properties Macros, and then pulls the interior <table> element for reporting. You would have to do the same to obtain the data inside the macro.

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 31, 2016

The JAVA API I am sure would be preferable due to speed. You could use the REST API to use a CQL query like such – https://confluence.example.com/dosearchsite.action?cql=siteSearch+~+%22macroName%3Adetails%22+and+type+%3D+%22page%22+and+label+%3D+%22my-label%22&queryString=macroName%3Adetails

Patrick Doucet August 1, 2016

"You would have to do the same to obtain the data inside the macro."

Yes...And How I do that? I need to do that, i woluld like a custom layout.

Thank you

Bill Bailey
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 1, 2016

If you want to display data on the same page it is stored, the only solution I know of (and have used) is via the metadata plugin.Since it is free (and has been for years), that is the best/easiest solution.

Where I got the syntax was from here: https://help.k15t.com/scroll-pdf-exporter/using-page-properties-as-placeholder-101157314.html

But even if that method is available, I typically have based variables using the metadata plugin.

Like Tobias Anstett _K15t_ likes this

Hello Bill,

To use page properties as placeholders:

1. Open the root page of your exports.
  2. Insert a page properties macro to your page and a two-column key-value table.
    information The first column of the table will be the keys and the second one will be the corresponding values.
  3. Save the page.
  4. Open your template and insert the placeholder in the following pattern:$pageProperty.from("User")
    information Please note that the placeholders are case-sensitive.
    This placeholder will be replaced with the corresponding value stored in the content properties macro for the key with name "User".

5. If you have multiple page property macros on your root page, you have to assign an ID to the macros and refer to this ID in your template.
    For example:$pageProperty.from("User", "123")
    This placeholder will be replaced with the corresponding value stored in the content properties macro with ID 123.

Step 1 : OK

Step 2 : OK

Step 3 : OK

Step 4 : ??? I need more explanation... 

Step 5 : OK

Bill Bailey
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 1, 2016

This is in reference to K15t velocity templates, but could give you a clue of how to address them (I haven't tried this). I am assuming that it will display the value on the page.

From the metadata plugin, there is the following method:

getMetadataValues(String token, String spaceKey, String pageName)

https://comalatech.jira.com/wiki/display/META/Metadata+plugin+version+1+documentation#Metadatapluginversion1documentation-metadata-reportmacro

So... How I can use it?

In a macro like this?

<p>
<ac:structured-macro ac:macro-id="5b3f7bcc-12c8-4b82-afd6-93e41192cfb5" ac:name="metadata-values" ac:schema-version="1">
<ac:parameter ac:name="0">Source</ac:parameter>
<ac:parameter ac:name="1">SGDE</ac:parameter>
<ac:parameter ac:name="2">SYS-0004</ac:parameter>
</ac:structured-macro>
</p>

1. Source is the key
  2. SGDE is the space name
  3. SYS-0004 is the page name

This macro doesn't work...

0 votes
Patrick Doucet July 30, 2016

Hello,

I tried  $pageProperty.from("Field1") in a page with a property "Field1" but It doesn't work...

Where did you find the name of this calss? I didn't find it in the https://docs.atlassian.com/atlassian-confluence/5.9.9/.

My macro is:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

## Developed by:  <your name>
## Date created: 27/07/2016

## @param filter:title=Filter|type=string|required=false|desc=Label filter

<li>$pageProperty.from("Source")</li>

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 votes
Bill Bailey
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 30, 2016

I think it is of the form: $pageProperty.from("User") where User is the key. And $pageProperty.from("User", "123") when you have macros with IDs.

How to access from another page, I am not clear on, but maybe this gets you started and you can report back?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events