Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use confluence with load balancing ?

Ajinkya June 3, 2018

Hello

I want to use latest confluence with two front end servers and single mysql database.

I did this setup on my test environment but i got error message as i can not use single database server for multiple confluence.

Is there any way to do this setup ? 

Is there any documentation written for confluence with F5 load balancer ?

2 answers

0 votes
Ajinkya June 3, 2018

OK . Thanks

So confluence with data center i can use 2 frond end nodes (In future i can add more) and single back end as Mysql. 

Currently i am using confluence 5.8.8 on standalone server. Can i move to Data center option with same license ? or I have to purchase new license.

Igor M.
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 4, 2018

Hello,

You would need to purchase DC license to be able to use DC version, the installation file is the same, whether you can or can't use DC features is determined and detected based on license key. You can read more about it in Moving to Confluence Data Center guide.
Your assumption is correct, you can use multiple Nodes connecting to a single DB in a cluster and add more in the future.
Keep in mind that Confluence 5.8.8 has reached End of Life. So we would recommend upgrading to Confluence 6.*.

Regards

Igor

Ajinkya June 5, 2018

Hello,

Can i convert my existing standalone license in to DC license ?

How can i import my old data in to new DC ? 

Igor M.
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 7, 2018

Hello,

You would have to upgrade a standalone license into DC license. You can engage our sales from here and they will be able to assist you with your licensing needs.

Once you have a new DC license key you would have to apply it to your existing Confluence installation, from General configuration > Licensing, once license key is applied, DC features are unlocked and can be used, from General configuration > Clustering.

Installation file for standalone and DC version is the same, license key is what unlocks the features. So no need to import any data, you can change your production directly.

Regards,

Igor

0 votes
Igor M.
Atlassian Team
June 3, 2018

Hello,

The load balancer is only available for Data Center editions of Confluence, you can not use it for Standalone Server. To use DC features and version you need a DC license

You can read more about it in Load balancer configuration options guide. 

Regards,

Igor

Ajinkya June 3, 2018

OK . Thanks

So confluence with data center i can use 2 frond end nodes (In future i can add more) and single back end as Mysql.

Currently i am using confluence 5.8.8 on standalone server. Can i move to Data center option with same license ? or I have to purchase new license.

Ted Husted April 22, 2019

@Igor M_ - Does this restriction on a server license also  block a blue/green upgrade, where we bring up a second (upgraded) instance, rollover the IP, and then take down the initial instance sometime later?

Igor M.
Atlassian Team
April 22, 2019

@Ajinkya that is correct, you can use two nodes with single DB on the back end, DC conversion requires a new license, once DC license is applied existing Confluence server version will be converted to DC.
@Ted Husted It's not so much a restriction as a suportability question, Confluence is not aware what is in front of it, standalone server version will treat load balancer as a form of reverse proxy, but you can't have two server instances being up connecting to the same DB, first of all, during an upgrade, DB will also be upgraded, some tables and records as all Confluence data is stored there, so if instance connected to DB is upgraded, and an older instances connected to the same DB, system will crash on boot. Second, Confluence checks if there is any other connection to DB during boot and if there is already a connection, Confluence will not boot to prevent data corruption, so you can't have two systems connecting to the same DB being up at once unless it's a DC type. For DR solution, you should have a second instance with a cloned DB.

Regards,

Igor

Like Ted Husted likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events