How to tell if running 32 or 64 bit Confluence

Chris Kast July 24, 2012

I've inherited the managment of our Confluence instance and I need to upgrade it to the latest. How can I tell if we're running the 32 or 64-bit version? If I do a 'file' command on /opt/atlassian/confluence/jre/bin/java it says it's a 32-bit process. So can I assume I need the 32-bit updater? Thanks!

3 answers

0 votes
Chris Kast July 24, 2012

Thanks, all. Looks like it's 32-bit.

0 votes
Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 24, 2012
  1. Browse | Confluence Admin
  2. Administration | System Information
  3. Check the Java VM attribute under Java Runtime Environment

Note: 32bit performs better even on 64bit archetechture unless you've configured the JVM with > 2GB heap space (and your wiki actually has enough load to justify the additional RAM allocation).

Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 24, 2012

I should have mentioned the Java VM attribute will state 64 if it's 64bit (if it doesn't metion 64 then it's 32 bit).

Kevin Mote
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 26, 2014

Note: For JIRA administration, the Java VM attribute is under the "Server Info" section on the System Info page.

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 24, 2012

If your machine is 64 bit, you should be safe to use a 64bit upgrader. It removes the old installation files and creates new ones. The only thing it reuses is the actual data and some configurations (like memory parameters).

Test it first!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events