How to replace English (UK) with English (US)?

Chad Barnes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 26, 2012

Our Confluence site is primarily English (United States). I would like the primary English translation to be English (US). Unfortunately, with both UK and US packs installed users see two "English" entries on the login screen and despite the server setting, their browsers select the first English pack (UK).

I would like to make English (US) primary and leave English (UK) around for those users who prefer it. Any suggestions?

5 answers

0 votes
James Smolich December 29, 2015

has anyone gotten a solution to this?  I'm having the same issue and I've been researching a "simple" solution for days.  nothing

0 votes
Deleted user August 14, 2015

Is there an official way to fix this?  It looks like the CONF bugs are resolved, but this is still happening in our Confluence instance.

0 votes
Janet Li May 31, 2014

Hello! Was this resolved? Because we, too, have the American English pack installed, but see Favourite. This will most certainly be commented on by my superiors.

0 votes
David at David Simpson Apps
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 29, 2012

Browse to Confluence Admin | Look & Feel | Custom HTML

In At the end of the HEAD paste:

<script>
  AJS.toInit(function(){
    AJS.$('body.login').find('a[href$="language=en_GB"]').text('English (British)');
  });
</script>

Chad Barnes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 29, 2012

Thanks David. That solved the duplicate "English" entries on the login page. But, still, Conflunece is choosing the en-gb language even when the browser has en-us as the preferred language.

1. In conflunece user settings, select the "Automatically detect browser setting" option
  2. Log-out
  3. Set browser to en-us as preferred language
  4. Log in to Confluence

Note on the dashboard that the word "Favorite" (US) is spelled "Favourite" (UK). Forcing the en-us language pack in user settings changes that.

This seems trivial. But we are anticitpating thousands of users, primarily US-based, all wondering how to get rid of all those pesky, superfluous vowels.

Iakov Dlikman April 28, 2014

Hi Chad,

may I ask which version of Confluence you are using?

Chad Barnes
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 28, 2014

We are currently at 5.4.4.

0 votes
AndreyevM January 27, 2012

What about change some tags in atlassian-plugin.xml file inside this jar?

Chad Barnes
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 29, 2012

That sounds like it could remedy the situation. However, we'd like to avoid these types of changes because they add to maintenance efforts during future upgrades. A way to rename these laguage packs in the administrator interface may be what is needed (via a new feature).

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events