How to "See the whole page tree in the sidebar" (5.3)

Nerd October 3, 2013

Referencing these two pages:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Confluence+5.3+Release+Notes#Confluence5.3ReleaseNotes-Seethewholepagetreeinthesidebar
https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Configuring+a+Sidebar

First of all, there is no such thing as "Space Tools".
I go to the space I want to configure. I click "Space Admin" from the drop down menu at the top left.
There is no "Child Pages" link., just this list:

General
  • Space Details
  • Space Categories
  • Templates
  • Delete Space
  • Trash
Security
  • Permissions
  • Restricted Pages
  • Application Links
Look and Feel
  • Themes
  • Colour Scheme
  • Layout
  • Stylesheet
  • PDF Layout
  • PDF Stylesheet
  • Change Space Logo
Import
  • Import

What is wrong? I am not a confluence admin but an administrator for the space. This is Confluence 5.3 - I get the pop up information when logging in, I can create Knowledge spaces and How-To sections.

Also, there is no graphic/area like the one in the reference:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/download/attachments/317194694/SidebarConfigure-Annotated.png?version=6&modificationDate=1376280803616&api=v2

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Christina Schantin [Communardo]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 6, 2013

It seems, that your company uses a customized design theme based on the documentation theme. In that case you can't use the page tree as well as the side bar.

But the reason to use the documentation theme is, that this theme has the complete page tree on the left side. Do you have a little icon left to the search? Try to click on it. Maybe that could fix the problem.

1 vote
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 4, 2013

You have to be using the "default" theme to get the side bar that can show the whole space tree. If you have that theme turned on then at the bottom of the sidebar you will see a link called space tools.

Nerd October 4, 2013

I have two themes available: Global Look and Feel (currently selected) and Documentation Theme. Neither show a Space Tools link at the bottom left of any part of the page - the page tree (left navigation column/side bar) nor the main content area (obviously it would not be here, as that would mean it would be a widget/macro).

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 6, 2013

Well, all I can say is that you need to use the theme called "Default" if your administrator has disabled it or modified it to hide the "space tools" then you will have to speak with him or her about that. That is the theme that you need to use to see this option.

0 votes
Nerd October 6, 2013

My karma was too low for me to reply immediately, but I was going to say:

It looks like /admin/choosetheme.action is the place to go to switch back to "default". I was using the Documentation theme I guess. I was modifying the theme (switching between global and Documentation) on individual spaces which did not do anything besides change my color scheme. Space Tools now appears.

However, Space Tools is terrible. It takes up way too much space, and the full tree layout option does exactly what the Documentation theme does anyways, so I will be sticking with that.

I am waiting for the feature that allows us to fully expand a space's tree (not just to the current child that is selected; I want to see all child pages in the tree at once), either in the space options, or in user preferences (preferred).

Thanks everyone for your help.

0 votes
hsuhailah
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 6, 2013

The fact that you are accessing Browse > Space Admin indicates that you may not be using Confluence 5.3. Space Admin is applicable for an earlier version of Confluence 4.x. Can you check from the Confluence footer, what is the version displayed? e.g. Powered by Atlassian Confluence 4.3.2

Also, by default there is no "Child Pages" section under Space Admin. Are you trying to access child pages from a main parent page of a space?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events