How to migrate from 4.1 on shared tomcat to standard 6.5 installation

Reinhold Rechberger November 4, 2017

I have my own server running confluence v4.1 in in shared tomcat6 environment.

Now I want to upgrade to the latest confluence (v6.5) - the Problem is: the old server runs in an shared tomcat6 container and I don't want this for the new version.

So I want a fresh installation of the new version (with its own app-server) and migration of the old data, database, attachements and configuration.

How should I do this?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 6, 2017

Welcome to the forum, and thank you for asking about this upgrade during the planning stages. Hopefully we can strategize a smooth upgrade experience.

The recommended path is to

• migrate to a standalone app server (bundled Tomcat)
  • then run a manual upgrade.

There are a lot of details in these guides:

How to migrate Confluence from an EAR or WAR Distribution to a Standalone version

Upgrading Confluence Manually

Naturally, it's best to run through the steps in a testing environment first. Please see the tips in this article: Restoring a Test Instance from Production

If anything in the docs brings up more questions, please post back to this thread, I will be happy to help.

Reinhold Rechberger November 8, 2017

Migration from WAR- to Standalone-Version was the key for my successfull migration. From that Point Migration to v5.10.8 with standard installer (as suggested in: Confluence 6.5 :: Upgrading Confluence) and to v6.5 at the end.

Thank you verry much Ann.

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 8, 2017

Happy I was of help. Thank you so much for following up to let the Community know how it went!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events