How to migrate Confluence to another server (with addons)

ChristianWaidner October 13, 2017

I want to transfer an Atlassian Confluence server installation to another server and another database, including all content and addons.

I tried this guide: https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/migrating-confluence-between-servers-184150.html

Basic procedure is:

• Do XML export
  • Install new server
  • Copy data directory
  • Do XML import

=> Content is available, addons are not. With jira this procedure works great.

Is there another way to do this besides doing a database backup and restore?

12 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Lars Olav Velle
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 13, 2017

You could go with the procedure you described or you could just move data, export and import database.

We have a copy of our production instances where users can try out add-ons and "mess around".

Let´s say we get a request to test out a new workflow. The script is invoked and all the data from the production servers are copied to the test server (rsync). The database is automatically dumped and imported again at the test server. Sql queries alters mail server settins, licenses and the base url. Finally the test instances are started. All this happens automatically.

The same procedure could be used when migrating servers.

If your are using linux and are interested i could send you a copy of our script. 

-Lars

carpenterbees October 25, 2017

Hello Lars!

i would be greatly appreciated if you could send  me the scrip too: carpenterbees (at) gmail.com

And question: is  there a way to migrate add-ons from cloud? I mean I have access to web-interface only, I do not have direct access to the DB server or shell.

Thank You.

Tim Cornwell July 2, 2018

Hi Lars!

I would love a copy of your script as well!  Could you please send it to me (or a link) to tc225 at cornell <dot> edu.

Thanks!

Paulo Amorim August 6, 2018

Hello Lars,

I´ll proceed with a migration and would appreciate if you could send me your script at xapoti@gmail.com

Thank You!

Joel Ponce November 15, 2018

Have any of you gotten this script from @Lars Olav Velle? I'd appreciate getting it as well.

Update: Found the gist link below :)

Like Martin Krupicka likes this
2 votes
Lava Kumar Dukanam _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 10, 2018

Hello Everybody!

Can somebody who has got a script post it on Github Gist and share a link here and make sure to credit the authors work?

I can share it too on Github gist if somebody sends it to me on lavakumar.dukanam[at]appfire[dot]com

Thanks,

Lava

Katie Minks March 28, 2019

Did this ever get shared to github gist?  If so, a link would be awesome!

Lars Olav Velle
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 12, 2019

Yes, there are multiple links on this page to gist

1 vote
FreeSoftwareServers June 5, 2018

Whats up with e-mail the script? Are me and CT the only one's who figure this would be better posted publicly? I am pulling my hair out trying to migrate confluence .... :( Wish I had a copy as well!

Joel Ponce March 28, 2019
0 votes
Itamar Ben Sinai April 23, 2019

Hi Lars

Can you share the script with me?

thanks

Lars Olav Velle
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 23, 2019

See the link above to the GitHub gist page. 

0 votes
Shannon Wright August 8, 2018

Lars,  I would love to get a copy of your script.  We use linux servers as well.

swright300 at gmail.com

Lars Olav Velle
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 24, 2018

Sorry for the late response. 

Prerequisite: password-less ssh from prod to test

Change the ID of your user directory accordingly (mine was 10003 back in the days)

https://gist.github.com/larvel/1d7ef5dee5faee9c1930eb50d10dce93

I have since using this started to use docker and docker-compose and do not use this approach anymore, but it used to work flawlessly (even without stopping the services on the production server)

0 votes
Vamsi Krishna Reddy May 19, 2018

Can anybody send the script to my mail id vamsiupdates at gmail dot com

Thanks!

Vamsi Krishna

0 votes
Vamsi Krishna Reddy May 9, 2018

Hi Lars,

Can you send the script to my mail id vamsiupdates at gmail dot com

Thanks!

0 votes
Roy Boverhof May 4, 2018

Hi @Lars Olav Velle

Would you mind sharing your script with us? info <at> server <dot> biz

I have tried a manual migration but keep running into problems, after wasting two days I hope to find another way to move servers.

Cheers,

Roy

0 votes
Хara Rada April 18, 2018

Hi @Lars Olav Velle [Kantega Single Sign-on],

I would be very thankful if you could also share your script with me antonzavodovsky at gmail.com

Thanks a lot!

0 votes
Lars Olav Velle
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 4, 2018

Hi,

I have been offline for some time. Today I sent you all a download link to the script. 

Enjoy!

-Lars

Abhijeet Mense April 24, 2018

Even we have a similar requirement, can you pass on the script to abhi.mn at gmail.com

Abhijeet Mense May 9, 2018

Haven't yet received, can you let us know if it was sent from your side.

CloudThingSupport May 31, 2018

It would be nice to have this script available online rather than asking for an email to be sent. :(

0 votes
Okan Bekatli March 5, 2018

Hi @Lars Olav Velle

May I also request your script ? Please send it to okan.bekatli at gmail.com

Many thanks. 

0 votes
ChristianWaidner October 13, 2017

Hello Lars!

Thank you very much for your answer. I suspected, that I have to use the DB dump. I am using Linux for the servers so I am very interested in your script. 

Thanks in advance for your support.

Chris

Lars Olav Velle
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 13, 2017

I have made some changes to the script so that it can be shared.

Give me your email and I can send you the script.

ChristianWaidner October 14, 2017

Hello Lars!

You can reach me at c.waidner at phytec.de

BTW - is there a way to send a private message in this forum?

Chris

Lars Olav Velle
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 14, 2017

Hi,

I´m sending it shortly. There is no private messages in the community.

Jayson Franklin November 27, 2017

Hi, do you mind also sharing with me? jfranklin at kabbage dot com

Lars Olav Velle
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 27, 2017

Sure. Just a sec :)

Manuel Lindner November 29, 2017

Hi Lars,

We are also currently dealing with this requirement.

We would be very thankful if you could also share your script with us to my email manuel.lindner@bytesource.net.

Thank you in advance
Manuel

Lars Olav Velle
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 29, 2017

Hi, 

Sure, I'll send it to you later this evening. 

-Lars 

somanath kondeti February 1, 2018

Hi Lars,

I am using Linux for the servers so I am very interested in your script. 

Thanks in advance for your support.

Thanks,

somu

somanath kondeti February 1, 2018

Hi Lars,

Can you send the script to my mail id somanath.kondeti@amd.com

Thanks,

somu

Lars Olav Velle
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 2, 2018

Hi Somu,

I´ll send you an email shortly.

-Lars

somanath kondeti February 2, 2018

Hi Lars,

Thanks a lot

-somu

Samuel Tinapp February 18, 2018

Hi @Lars Olav Velle,

I would be very thankful if you could also share your script with me. samuel.tinapp(at)dst-it.de

Thanks a lot

-Sam

Hao La February 28, 2018

Hi @Lars Olav Velle,

If you could also share your script with me,  hao.la (at) xyleminc (dot) com

Thanks a lot,

Hao

khughesbp April 3, 2018

@Lars Olav Velle I'm going through this migration process as well and would love to try your script if you don't mind sharing it:

khughes (at) bybaxter (dot) com

Thanks!

Medhat Ahmed November 20, 2018

@Lars Olav Velle could you please send the script to me also medhat205213@gmail.com.

thanks alot

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events