How to make an Excel file Confluence content?

Peter Bunde Hansen May 30, 2016

Fellow developers!

I want to embed an Excel file into a page, so that it may be edited there. It is not important to actually see the content of the Excel sheet on the page.

When I select Insert Select content/Confluence content/Excel, then Insert Office Excel macro, then under File Name, it says: "No appropriate attachments". Where do I populate the dropdown so that there is 'appropriate attachments' to select from?

BW Peter Hansen

6 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Meck
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 30, 2016

Hello Peter, good afternoon! 

I think you have two situations:

1. You want to edit the Excel file in the Confluence Cloud
  2. View Excel Macro Will Not Load Attached Files

Right? 

Well,

For the first one:

You can edit the document in Confluence if you use the Macro Office Excel. 

edit_document.PNG

And it will show to you the option to Edit Document, it open a Excel File and you can edit the file. 

Observation: I think you need use the Internet Explorer to work, but I'm not sure about it.

To the second

is that what happened to you?

ex.png

If it is that.. you have a workaround:

Simply Dragging and Dropping the excel file from your local file browser into the page being edited, will bypass this behavior and allow the excel macro to load the file.

And resolution is:

• Option 1
    • Download the file from the page
    • Enter the edit mode for the desired page
    • Open a file Browser window and navigate to the downloaded file

• Drag the .xls or .xlsx file into the page being edited

• this will bypass the upload feature and attaches directly to the space, allowing the Excel macro to load appropriately. 
      • with this method it will continually fail to load when trying the upload from attachments method for future attachments.
  • Option 2

• Copy all information from the page 

• Delete the page and create a new one

• Past the information into the new page
      • This method will only copy text and require rebuilding any macro configurations, and formatting

Lemme know if I helped you. 

Victor Grazi December 14, 2016

This is not working for me at all. I have tried dragging the Excel file into the same Confluence page, also attaching it to a different page then pointing this page to the file page, but I still get "No appropriate attachments"

image2016-12-14 15:47:44.png

Like Jason Smith likes this
Chris Wright May 1, 2018

It needs to be a .XLS file, not XLSX or XLSM.

Like Sharon Tan likes this
Ory Zaidenvorm October 28, 2018

.XLSX seems to work the same for me as .XLS

Like Daniel Rodriguez likes this
Jason Smith October 12, 2020

Does not work for me either, it uploads a link and the file cannot be viewed as a table as either .xlsx or .xls.

I managed to create the page, upload the file, use the macro, all is good and hit insert. Nothing. Just a link.

We would love to use the page with the excel sheet as a place where people can load data into (numerous as once if possible), we then run a report every month and annually from it.

Oki__PolarisOffice_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 19, 2021

@Jason Smith @Peter Bunde Han 

If you want to embed an excel file in a confluence page, an AddOn can be one option. 

I would recommend our app, Polaris spreadsheet for Confluence which provides a full excel editor seamlessly in your page.

Please check it. https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1223556 

Please check a way to embed/insert excel document in Confluence page in youtube. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OELp_2G62oI

Jason Smith January 20, 2021

We’re not allowed to load Addons as a general rule, the organisation doesn’t allow it, so if there is no internal policy to aid this then we will never have the option until these things become standard in software/products and if they don’t then the team looking at new products will continue looking elsewhere for something that does what we need...this is annoying as it might mean they will eventually go offshore for product to suit the needs :-(

If it was me at home, no hesitation, I would have what I need, however, limited as the power brokers and decision makers make the call. Arggggggh.

5 votes
G. Khan August 5, 2019

Has anyone stumbled across a better way to have an excel files content displayed? It'd be neat if we could have live updates made to an excel file displayed within confluence. 

Oki__PolarisOffice_
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 19, 2021

@G. Khan 

I would recommend an AddOn to display an excel file within confluence.

You can directly edit a file in confluence, too. 

Please check details, 

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1223556/ 

Please check a way to embed/insert excel document in Confluence page in youtube. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OELp_2G62oI

2 votes
Rodney Hughes
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 30, 2016

I think the question is how to add the Excel file to the page in the first place?

click the ellipsis (three dots) icon at top right

select Attachments

choose Browse, or from your PC file browser use the Drag-and-drop

Ory Zaidenvorm October 28, 2018

This is indeed the answer to the original question:

"When I select Insert Select content/Confluence content/Excel, then Insert Office Excel macro, then under File Name, it says: "No appropriate attachments". Where do I populate the dropdown so that there is 'appropriate attachments' to select from?"

Like Anu Saraf likes this
Anu Saraf November 30, 2018

I am new to confluence and I am having the same issue. 

image.png

Rodney Hughes
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 30, 2018

The macro is looking for attachments to the page.  You have to add an attachment to the page.

Either:

with the page in normal "View page" mode, i.e. not Edit mode where you insert the macro, just use your PC file browser to drag and drop a file onto the page.

Or 

Click the Ellipsis three dot icon, select <<Attachments>> and browse or drag and drop your file there.

Your macro should then kick in to life.

Like # people like this
Anu Saraf November 30, 2018

I had the file in the parent page and I was trying to add it to a child page. I added the child page title and it worked.

Thank you very much. :)

Like Christina Gheorghe likes this
1 vote
Stefan May 22, 2019

In my case there was a colon in the page title. As I removed this, the excel macro worked.

Thomas_Günter July 2, 2019

Hi Stefan,

thanks for the hint. I nearly have gone nuts but removing the colon helped.

Regards,

Thomas

Rodney Hughes
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 2, 2019

Wow!! 

I am glad you mentioned this Stefan ....

I haven't seen any documentation about limitation of characters in the page title ... is there any information in the Confluence Documentation that talks about this? 

Or in the Community pages?

A link would be helpful ...

I am now trolling through our association's 500 Spaces to see if there are any colon instances that might cause problems in various macros ... :(

Stefan November 23, 2019

Hi Rodney,
this Link could be helpful.

Regards,

Stefan

0 votes
Sharon Tan
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
March 8, 2021

Hey there! I was able to replicate not being able to see appropriate attachments, and when I renamed my file type to .xls, it popped up and I was able to embed it. If you're still seeing issues around this with our Confluence Cloud editor, please get in touch at https://support.atlassian.com/contact/ so we can dig into this further. 

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-Cloud-questions/How-can-excel-file-content-be-imported-to-confluence-so-that-it/qaq-p/913478 also addresses some similar behavior and @[deleted] there has included some links to our Confluence Cloud editor roadmap as well as a feature request where we continually gathering feedback on the Excel macro. Thanks!

Andrew June 16, 2021

Wow, xlsx has been the proper extension for 10 years now.  Surely Atlassian can figure out how to handle that.

Like Rodney Hughes likes this
0 votes
Paul Coutry July 1, 2019

still unable to attach an excel file 

Rodney Hughes
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 1, 2019

Might be helpful if you describe precisely what you have done ...

I just tested on my cloud instance: https://ideology.atlassian.net/wiki/x/CICtLQ 

Build info Confluence 1000.0.0-438ed42757d

Created a new page and Published as completely blank page.

With page in normal View mode, I Dragged and dropped an Excel file from File Explorer onto the page

Edited the page to insert the attached file

Clicking on the image gives me the viewer window ... I can download it from there

Clicking on the <<Edit file>>option however doesn't seem to work

I then edited the page to insert the Excel macro below the horizontal line .. it automatically identified the attachment 

It displays the Excel content but it doesn't seem to allow to edit the file onscreen

Katrin August 14, 2019

Have you checked to see whether the excel file is a template? You can only attach documents not document templates.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events