Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to link to page with a colon in the page title?

Robert Riemann June 2, 2016

Hi,

we are writing our software documentation in Confluence.

Some Confluence pages need a colon ":" in their page title. 

And sometimes it is necessary to set a link to such a page from another page. When I try to do so, Confluence says, that it does not recognize the part in front of the colon as a valid spacekey (which is correct).

How can I even so link to such a page (except of renaming the targe page)?

Thanks in advance

Robert

3 answers

3 votes
Ken Williams October 10, 2018

I discovered that this can work if you use the "Advanced" tab for editing the link, and include the Space ID in the link.  It seems to know the first colon separates the link from the page, and the second colon is part of the page name.

If you go back to the link editor, it will forget that you gave it a space name explicitly (maybe only when it's the same space as the space of the page you're editing?) and you have to type it back in each time you edit.

To link to an auto-generated anchor (e.g. from a Table of Contents) on the target page, you can append "#" and the portion of the named anchor that corresponds to the header of the section you're linking to.  This means stripping off the portion of the named anchor that corresponds to the name of the page itself.

Example: I'm linking to

I need to insert 

• FOO:WARP: WindLogics Archive of R Packages#ConfiguringaGitLabbuildforanRpackage

as the Link in the Advanced link editor, and keep prepending "FOO" every time I subsequently edit the link.

Tested using Confluence 6.1.1.

Tim H_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 16, 2019

Helpful, Ken! Using Confluence 6.6.7, I was actually able to accomplish this by prepending just a colon to the anchor link (no space name required).

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 3, 2016

I'm afraid you can't - the : is used by Confluence to separate Space:Pagename so, although you can use it in a page name, it can't be referred to by the internal linking system.

0 votes
Milo Test
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 9, 2016

By "link" are you referring to a hyperlink or include page?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events