How to insert a newly created page in alphabetic order

Oliver Lütte December 23, 2020

Hello,

I have a question how newly created pages are inserted into the current set of pages.

Let's say I have a space with pages and subpages. Whenever I want to create a page below a subpage, it is added at the end within the subpage. 

E.g. there is a page "Fruits" with a subpage "Bananas". When I add a second page "Ananas" the output looks like that:

• Fruits
  • - Bananas
  • - Ananas

Neither makes that sense nor is it the expected result. Imagine your file drive would work that way...

I know: I can go to the space admin page and sort the pages. But that is impractical. I create dozens of pages - maybe even in a week. And I am supposed to do that each time? No way...

Why is there not a default setting to customize how new pages are inserted. I think this is the most trivial thing

Apart from that your product is brilliant :)

Regards

Oliver

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 23, 2020

There's no setting for this.  The ordering of pages within the tree is free-form and you could have any one of thousands of desired default ordering patterns.  Most people wouldn't want alphabetic.  Some find "order that they're added" useful. 

If you coded for a default scheme, you'd need to code a way to support all the popular ones otherwise you'd only be coding for a tiny fraction of your user base.

Atlassian went with the most simple to code for which is "add to the end of the list".  It looks like "order they were added", but technically, it isn't, there's no looking at dates or comparing things, it's just a line of code that appends to a list.

Oliver Lütte January 4, 2021

Thanks for the clarification. I marked the question as answered.

A few thoughts though: I worked with two on-premise versions of Confluence (one four years back, one at the moment). In both cases new pages are inserted in alphabetical order... That's why I "searched" for that feature in the cloud version. So somewhere at Atlassian the algorithms seem to be available.

Secondly having an ordering feature which covers a handful of options initially (sorry, I have to disagree with "thousands") could cover a majority of the user base. And even if it does not, more options could be added over time (just like the templates which are getting more and more over time). 

Therefore I would appreciate such a feature in the future - maybe someone from Atlassian is seeing this ;-)

Like Rob Horan likes this
0 votes
Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 3, 2021

I'm having the same problem.  I'm adding notes to a space I created for an online class and I'm doing some pages out of order, and this is driving me nuts, especially since this is inconsistent with server.

You can alpha sort by reordering pages in your space settings.

The downside is you'll need to do this EVERY TIME you add content.

ordering.png

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events