How to display Jira Issue field values in Confluence page

sjoulaei October 25, 2016

Hi All,

We define all our small projects as Epics in Jira. I have a page for each of our sub-projects in confluence with some page properties defined on them. Then I have a page property report to summarise the project stats in on table.

I want to be able to automatically update these page properties from JIRA issue fields. At the moment i am looking at fields like Original Estimate, Remaining Estimate, Time Spent and some more custom fields defining Project code etc.

Below is a screenshot of the report that I need to maintain.

Is there anyway to do this in Confluence? Or is there any other way anyone can suggest to achieve the same results?

image2016-10-26%2011%3A15%3A29

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
sjoulaei October 26, 2016

I found a workaround for this. Although it is not ideal but it seems is the only available option at the moment.

I added a page property for the original estimate and add the JIRA filter macro  with a filter to show the single issue. It shows the value. The only problem is that it shows the field name as well as the value itself.

It would be good to have a tick in Display Option section to select whether I want the field name to be displayed or not.

image2016-10-27 16:4:32.png

Rob Woodgate
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 26, 2016

Hi Saeed,

Apologies, this is exactly what I was trying to suggest (poorly) in my original comment.  Good job on getting it sorted.

Ovak Quhqni September 24, 2018

To expand on @sjoulaei's answer for those who may stumble upon this in the future, there's no way to print individual Jira field values in Confluence page as this question asks.

You can, however, use a JIRA Issue/Filter macro in your Confluence page and list a single (or multiple) Jira Issue's value(s). It will appear in a borderless table and will contain the field name over the value itself. It won't display in-line and you can't customize the formatting, but it will display the value.

Attached are example of creating the macro and the result on the Confluence page:

JIRA-Issue-Filter-Redacted.pngJIRA-Issue-Filter-Edit-2-Redacted.png

Like # people like this
William Fennell November 12, 2019

FYI - you need to publish to see the results.

2 votes
Tom August 12, 2020

What is needed is the ability to display a single field based on a key-id in confluence 

e.g. On a confluence page:

Product number one: /jira "jql query" resulting in [STATUS]: "In Progress" without manually having to type in /status

It should be rendered in confluence as:

Product Number one: "In Progress"

This should work for any field based on a key-id, and should _not_ be rendered as a table with rows and columns

1 vote
Rob Woodgate
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 26, 2016

Hi Saeed,

The Page Properties Report macro will show the results of macros.  So you can add - for example - a JIRA Issue Filter macro that returns the number of bugs in a sprint into a row in the Page Properties table and the Page Properties Report will show the results of that filter.  Every time you refresh the page with the Page Properties Report on, the values will refresh as well.

You should be able to pull the information you're looking for from JIRA using JQL and the JIRA Issue Filter macro - here's the main JQL help page to get you started: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwareserver070/advanced-searching-762877735.html

Ovak Quhqni September 24, 2018

I realise this thread is almost two years old at this point, but since this is the only search engine hit for this ask I was hoping you could clarify on how JQL can pull specific field values. JQL is great at searching for very specific JIRA Issues, but not field values in those issues.

Say I write some JQL query that lists the single Issue I want a couple field values from. How do I then retrieve just one value?

It seems this isn't possible and that JQL is only used to search for Issues. You can use JQL to search for an Issue by the value of its fields, but not to search for the value of an Issue's field itself.

0 votes
Joe Darrah February 18, 2019

This would be a great feature, we have trouble with the same issues. We manage status on Epics as well as in Confluence page properties, becomes very hard to maintain.

szn March 20, 2021

[ad alert]

@Joe Darrah There is a plugin that allows you to to choose the fields to be presented on CF page.

Smart issue view for Confluence

On top of that it is possible to edit the issue right on a Confluence page (embed issues are automatically refreshed).

Important note – this is cloud only version.

0 votes
sjoulaei October 26, 2016

Hi Rob,

Issue filter just returns the issues found in multiple rows and two dimensional reports show the counts etc. I understand that. But I want to be able to show the value of a specific field in one issue. For example in screenshot above, every line is an Epic and I want to pull the Original estimate values for each of those epics.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events