Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many licenses for Sharepoint connector in this situation?

GC March 17, 2016

I have x number of Confluence users and y number of Sharepoint users.  There are more Sharepoint users than Confluence users.  I'd like to use Sharepoint Connector just to embed Confluence content in Sharepoint so that anyone logged into Sharepoint can see the content (but not modify it).  How many user licenses will I need:  x or y?

2 answers

0 votes
GC March 18, 2016

I haven't read up on the technical details of how it's done.  The macro page does state that it enables "bi-directional content embedding," though.  I'd just like to enable people to view formal documentation from Sharepoint even if they are not Confluence users.

0 votes
Bill Bailey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 18, 2016

How do you plan to embedded Confluence content into Sharepoint?

Bill Bailey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 18, 2016

Well as long as Confluence is configure to allow anon viewing, then any content that is imported into Confluence via a connector would be visible. Basically, the connector retrieves and displays the content on the page. View rights to that page are set within Confluence.

GC March 18, 2016

Oh, we do want to restrict viewing rights.  The idea is that those who have a Confluence login can view/edit Confluence pages.  Those using SharePoint can view but not edit.  People who don't have SharePoint or Confluence logins should have no access at all.  Is that possible?

Bill Bailey
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 18, 2016

Yes, that is what I am saying, The group of users who are SharePoint authorized but not Confluence users can view pages as anonymous (no login), but you need to enable view rights for anonymous users. You can allow anonymous users to add comments to Confluence pages, but then you have no idea who made a comment.

GC March 18, 2016

I'm sorry - I'm still confused.  Are you saying we should add anonymous viewing rights in Confluence?  It sounds like then anybody could view those Confluence pages whether they had Sharepoint access or not.

Bill Bailey
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 20, 2016

Yes that is the only way it CAN work. Otherwise, each user who needs to view, would require a login and consume a license (unless you go to a one group login with limited access – a solution, but not a great solution).

As long as your Confluence server is behind a firewall, anon access is then limited to those users inside.

If you want to authenticate all users but restrict their rights, then you would need two groups, one for Confluence users and one for Sharepoint users (both members of confluence-users), BUT that means you need enough licenses for both.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events