Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long could a big Confluence instance import take and how do I know if it's stuck?

Shirley He January 18, 2019

Hello,

I just wanted to get a good gauge of how long a 56GB Confluence site restoration would take. I looked around and found that sometimes even a 2GB project could take hours and hours and still not be done, due to some sort of bug. I need to know what to look out for if something like this happens.

Regards,

Shirley

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Tobias Anstett _K15t_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 21, 2019

Hi @Shirley He,

Depending on the data in your site backup it will perform differently. E.g. if it contains a lot of attachments which are streamed to your disk or if everything is database content...

Nevertheless import depends heavily on your memory (Xmx) settings. Thus an import could take sooooooo long or fails/stops if it is to low.

For an export there is a rule of thumb from Atlassian "you need double as much RAM as the export result size" - I would also stick to this for an import to get it working and performing in a reasonable time.

Best, Tobias

GMK
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 21, 2019

Hi Shirley and Tobias,

Just to clarify: JVM memory size (Xms and xmx values) shouldn't affect restore time however it is true that insufficient Xmx value will lead to the crash and as a result unsuccessful restore (as xml backup restore is memory-consuming action).

But in general we don't recommend using XML backups including attachments for larger instances - try generating xml backup excluding attachments and then copy attachments directory separately to the new attachments path.

Another option is to use complete database dump and also separately copy attachments directories to a new location.

For more details see https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/migrating-confluence-between-servers-184150.html and previously attached https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/site-backup-and-restore-163578.html

Regards,

Greg

Like Gonchik Tsymzhitov likes this
Tobias Anstett _K15t_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 21, 2019

Thanks for adding this level of detail :)

1 vote
Answer accepted
edwin
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 20, 2019

Hi @Shirley He,

What to look out for is whether data is still being written either to the database or to the home directory. I'd also tail the Confluence logs to monitor any error messages.

There is also another restore option if you have a database backup and a home directory backup.

Restoring Data from other Backups

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events