How give space admin rights in Confluence with plug-ins, simple integrations (API) management?

Hello, within a big organization (1000s of users), people in countries need to have local admin rights with possibility to manage plug-ins, copy/paste pages, manage simple integrations (JIRA for instance).

This could not be done with space admin rights.

We do not want to create several instances and give syst admin to each entity instance because we want Confluence to enable sharing between countries...

> How do big organizations manage this?

Thanks smile

1 answer

1 vote

No, seriously, you do not want to delegate rights for add-ons and global integrations.  Any add-on or integration is a potential risk as well as a benefit.  It could be adding functions that some teams don't want, it could be introducing changes, or worse, bugs, and you'll find it breaks stuff for one team and because it's another team's admin, they haven't even been warned, let alone had a chance to consider and approve it.

I've seen this happen several times, and had to clean it up.  The screaming you get when one admin makes a change that clobbers other teams stuff is horrendous.  Do NOT do it.

You need to establish a small team of admins who work very closely together to serve the global needs of your users.  Build them a JIRA project to track all change requests and allow all your confluence users to see it.  Build a proper process so that your administrators can analyse any requested change and assess the impact, publicising any changes that might affect teams other than the one raising the request.  Give them the authority to say "no" to as much as possible, and the right to delegate discussion to any teams where conflicts might arise.

thanks!! smile I understand by this that there is no possibility to have local system admin who add addons / integration only for some spaces without impacting the others.

I thought it was possible like in GitHub Enterprise, Slack.

Is my understading correct?

The plugins for those systems are much more simple and run for just the current area, so it's possible there.

Most add-ons for Atlassian systems are sweeping across-the-board add-ons with global effects.  Although you'll find many delegate functions down to projects/spaces, it's more efficient and coherent to install globally and use locally. 

A good example would be a Confluence theme - you can make a total mess of someone's space with a theme, but you install globally, and then the space admins can choose to use a theme if they want it.  You'd want to control the global elements to make sure you don't trash everyone's space, but they still delegate the local stuff to space admins.

Thanks for this answer, I would have some further questions

How big companies manages Conflunce use across their different entities? Our entities end by asking their own instance (let's say 200 to 500 users each) in order to have enough freedom to do local integrations be able to do local template that space admin can chosse either to apply or not.

Our pb is that we want to use Confluence as the sharing space across the entities, will they be able to do achieve this sharing once they are in several instances??

Do we end with a labyrinth solution if we add a search engine on the top of all Confluence pages?

Thanks!

>How big companies manages Conflunce use across their different entities?

They either run separate instances or, as we've said already, You need to establish a small team of admins who work very closely together to serve the global needs of your users.

They will find sharing quite hard if they're in separate instances, hence having one is a good idea.

I'm not sure what you mean by the last question.  An external search engine will be a layer of complexity, but it'll work.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Oct 24, 2018 in Confluence

Atlassian Research opportunity with Confluence templates

Do you use templates with Confluence? Take part in a remote 1-hr workshop. You'll receive USD $100 for your time!   We're looking for people to participate in a   remote 1-hr workshop...

1,103 views 17 14
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you