How do you remove a user's space permissions?

Rob Moser April 19, 2016

Having added specific-user permissions to a Confluence space, how do I remove that user, forcing them to go back to the space defaults?

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Rob Moser April 19, 2016

Just to condense - with thanks to Tom and Schuyler - the previous comment stream into a single answer, in hopes that it might be useful to someone else later:

Go to Space Tools > Permissions > Edit Permissions

Find the user whose permissions you would like to remove under Individual Users.  Untick all the boxes for that user (or use the gear and choose Deselect All) and then click Save down the bottom.  This does not set that user's permissions to none; instead it removes them from the permissions list entirely, and they will then default back to the permissions of any groups they may be a member of, or the default space permissions if they are in no relevant groups.

1 vote
Schuyler Bishop April 19, 2016

Hi Rob,

You can go to Space Tools > Permissions > Edit Permissions (Under Individual Users) and deselect the permissions that individual user has. You can compare their permissions against those of "confluence-users" in order to send them back to the bare minimum regarding permissions for that particular space. 

Rob Moser April 19, 2016

But then, if the defaults change at some later date, the user's permissions will not change, correct?  Or if they have permissions from a group, their personal permissions will override those?  I'm looking for a way to remove the user from the list of individual users, so that they once again fall back on their groups, or the space's defaults.

TomC
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 19, 2016

Yep, and quicker than deselecting all checked permissions use this tip: you can either uncheck the 'View' (first checkmark to the left) OR click the gear and select 'Deselect all' (either of those should work).

Then just be sure to click the Save button!

TomC
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 19, 2016

Rob,  Yes, personal permissions do override group permissions, so indeed, once removed from individual they fall back to their group's permissions.

Does that cover it for you? Please let us know.

Rob Moser April 19, 2016

That is my question; how do I remove them from individual?

If I just unset all the tick-boxes under individual, then - assuming I'm understanding you correctly - the individual settings (of all the boxes unticked, so no access) will override any groups that they're members of.  I want to remove them from the page altogether, so they have no individual settings, so they default back to their group settings.

Rob Moser April 19, 2016

Oh.  Bother.  So I deselected all for one of my users, and they were indeed removed from the list.

Which solves my problem, but is kind of weird.  What if I want to take a specific user and deny them all access to a space?  How would I add the user and then set their access to "none"?

TomC
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 19, 2016

Yes, if you uncheck either the first box or use the gear to deselect all from that individual (as described in my comment beginning with 'Yep,...', then that individual will be removed from the list of individuals after you click the Save button

Then, assuming he/she is part of a Group, they will  revert to the group permissions. Obviously if you remove an individual who is not part of a Group they will not have access to that space anymore.

Try that and advise if any more questions.

TomC
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 19, 2016

<<What if I want to take a specific user and deny them all access to a space? >>

If I understand your question, if a specific user is part of a group you cannot deny them access. You would have to remove the group and add what individuals from teh grouip you want to include. Typically an org would have groups for all members and then sub-groups. And then some wikis ONLY have individuals.

<<How would I add the user and then set their access to "none"?>>

No can do.

This might be a use case for Confluence's page restrictions where you keep the space permissions as they are, but restrict the view of a page to an individual, individuals or group; those view restrictions are inherited by the parent page's children.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events