How do you Hide children of a page?

Dan Moran October 30, 2011

I see that there are two views for Viewing Children - Show and Hide - that can be configured globally by a site admin.

But WHERE are they configured? HOW is this done?

We use the Documentation theme, and have tried temporarily switching to the Default theme so that we could edit the site's Page Layout and changing #renderChildren() to ##renderChildren(), but that didn't work.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dan Moran November 2, 2011

Hi Joseph,

Thanks for the tip - I didn't realize (as a brand new user) that I could apply that HTML code to a Space. In fact, I'm able to do so even without Enabling Custom Stylesheets for Spaces. Perhaps it's my privilege level?

In any event, I seem to have a "syntax" problem. When I enter the HTML code (see above) in a Space Stylesheet, the Labels: field on all pages in the Space is hidden, but the Child Pages still display. However, if I place the #labels line before the #children line in this HTML code, the Child Pages are hidden and the Labels: field displays!

Also, if I remove either the #children line or the #labels line from the HTML code, both the Child Pages and the Labels: field display on all pages.

I'm THAT CLOSE to getting this to work - any suggestions?

Thanks,

Daniel

2 votes
Danielle Zhu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 1, 2011

#renderChildren() is the right place. Make sure you do not have space level theme, layout or style that overwrites the global theme and the custom layout. e.g. In Space Admin Theme, you need to use Global Look and Feel, instead of selecting the Documentation theme.

Hi Danielle,

Page 310 of the Confluence 3.5 user guide has a screenshot where a site administrator can select to hide hildren globally. This is the screen I'd like to get to - but how do I get there? Is this screen no longer part of Confluence?

(I'd also like to hide the Labels: field that displays above the list of Child Pages.)

Thanks,

Daniel

Danielle Zhu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 2, 2011

I saw the screenshot you are referring to but that looks like a wiki page with children, not a global setting. As far as I know, there is no site wide setting to select whether to show or hide children by default. Here is an open request for "Option for hiding children by default": https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-6892

Hi Danielle,

OK, thanks for the link - maybe the hide children option will be available some day.

Meanwhile, I can go to each Parent Page and enter the following HTML code to hide the Child Pages and the Labels field:

{html}

<style>

#children-section { display: none; }

#labels-section {display: none; }

</style>

{html}

(I actually read about using this code only to hide the Child Pages and guessed that I could add a similar line to hide the Labels: field, and it worked!)

I appreciate your quick replies to my questions.

Daniel

Joe Clark
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 2, 2011

Instead of manually adding HTML to each page, you could use a custom Space stylesheet to apply it automatically to all pages - http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Styling+Confluence+with+CSS

Dan Moran November 4, 2011

Hi Joseph,

It finally dawned on me that if I placed two copies of the above HTML code in a Space Stylesheet, and in one copy flip-flopped the #children and #labels lines, both the list of CHiled Pages and the Label: filed would be hidden on all pages in that Space. And sure enough it worked.

It seems like a funny way to do it, but I got the result I wanted.

1 vote
Paul Paul November 6, 2011

Put it in a user macro, add macro to the page you want to see this action. Globally, just add to custom HTML in admin ( I would opt to use body).

David at David Simpson Apps
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 6, 2011

This is a very similar to the technique I used in More flexible commenting in Atlassian’s Confluence.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events