Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do we change page ownership?

Jesse Finkelstein April 12, 2016

My admin created my account and we can't figure out how to change ownership of a page over to me. How do we do this? 

16 answers

13 votes
Nathan Anderson May 2, 2018

This really should be a feature in Confluence... all of our pages are created by people who no longer work here and it's frustrating not being able to aggregate by page owner. 

Dimitris Glezos
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 31, 2018

The way that Google and Wordpress implements this is, when you delete a user, you get asked to transfer all their pages/posts to another person. This has worked great for us.

Like # people like this
8 votes
Harry Reiss May 3, 2018

+1 on the request to make the person shown at the top of each page the Page Owner, not Creator.

During our transition to Confluence, I migrated in a lot of pages from other tools, becoming the Page Creator everywhere. Now everyone in the company has to look at my ugly mug at the top of every page even if they subsequently edit or take ownership of it. 

Mike Hindman July 18, 2018

True all of the documents in my confluence are employees that are no longer here since its creator.

4 votes
Mike Hindman June 20, 2018

The owner of the page should be something you can change.  Please add this as a feature

4 votes
100pcRenewables May 1, 2016

Hi Giles,

I have an interest in this question.

What seems to me to be missing in Confluence is, in fact, a Page Owner which is different from a Page Creator - I believe Page Creator could be dispensed with with and instead the Page Owner's name displayed. The Page Owner's name is not connected to the person who created the page: when you create a page you are prompted to add the Page Owner's name with their contact details (it could appear as the Page Creator by default but there's really no connection). I believe you could even have the Page Owner as someone who doesn't have an account, for example, if they're outside the organisation but are responsible for the accuracy of the content.

I have been managing a space that has grown to 500 pages over a few years and the problem that has emerged is that there is not enough control over the currency of the information. What I think would help in this endeavour is:

• The name of an (easily changeable) Page Owner to contact if you believe the information is incorrect.
  • A way to prompt the Page Owner at configurable intervals to check for currency of information.

If you have other suggestions for control of currency of information I'd be glad to hear them.

Would it be possible to create a Page Owner as a variable whom you could send notifications to at configurable intervals?

Regards,
Petra Liverani 

1 vote
adi utomo August 16, 2018

Found the solution, just need to change the space admin membership.

Here is how I done it.

1. Identify the Admin group of the space

image.png2. Copy the group name. In my case "grp_admin_hrm"

3. Now from your admin wheel select "User management" as shown below

image.png

4. in user management find the username you want to transfer the ownership to

5. with a user selected select "Edit Groups"

image.png

6. Add the Admin space group in step 2.

7. Repeat step 4 - 5 to remove the current owner from the space

8. Done

image.png

image.png

0 votes
PHK March 26, 2021

How has this simple thing not been developed yet? I still get plenty of notifications for sites that I created for someone else. And no I am not watching these. It fills up my feed with unnecessary information and makes it hard to keep track of more important informations

0 votes
Jeff November 26, 2018

Apologies if this "workaround/solution" has been offered already - we use Confluence Cloud, and found that a "quick and dirty" way is to "Copy" the page - the copied page then inherits the currently logged in user as the page "author" (frustrating that terminology like "owner", "creator" and "author" are used interchangeably throughout Atlassian, but you can clearly see the "author" of the page when you select "Page Info" from the ellipses).

The downside is if your page has "child" pages, they need to be moved to your "copied" page manually.  Hope this helps someone out there!

0 votes
Chad Coffman July 18, 2018

+1

0 votes
zach petschek March 6, 2017

I know it's been a year since your comment but the link is dead now. Does anyone know if there's an up-to-date page or solution somewhere?

Tracy Bruce September 18, 2017

I found that when I moved a page that someone else had created into a different folder using Space Tools > Reorder pages, that it changed the "page creator" to me.

0 votes
Giles B
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 2, 2016

Hi Petra,

It sounds like you're wanting to add metadata to pages and display it in the UI, which is something you might be able to do with an add-on and content properties via the REST API. It's not something that's on our roadmap, so, if you're really keen on it, it might be a case of you engaging a developer to create an add-on for you.

The other thing to check out might be Comala workflows. It's only available for Server at the moment, but hopefully that'll change in the near future.

0 votes
Giles B
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 12, 2016

Hi Jesse,

All the page creator needs to do is stop watching the page; you can watch the page to get notifications of changes, comments, etc.

You can't—in the UI anyway—change who created a page, but notifications should be easy.

Vallo Trell April 8, 2020

This does not seem to work. I have a bunch of pages, which were created by me while I was in a different role and have long since handed over. I have switched off watching on these pages but am still getting notifications on changes there.

0 votes
TomC
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 12, 2016

Hi Jesse,

I want to confirm that from your question of 'page ownership' you didn't mean 'space ownership'.  As Steven Behnke alluded in his comment, there isn't really a 'page owner' per se, and to become the last author of a page just edit it.   I have found that many of our users (large company of thousands) talk about Confluence spaces, which are entire 'sites' that can consist of many pages, as if they were a page.

While I am the company's global admin, Confluence spaces each have space administrators, and for us they are essentially for us the space owners.  They decide who is in the space and what they can do, and have additional 'powers'.  Is that what you mean?

When you are a space administrator for example, you will have access to the Space Tools menu and these options:

image2016-4-12 13:52:12.png

Because of the terminology issue that seems to be common amongst a wide variety of folks here, if this explanation doesn't help in your case perhaps it will  help other viewers of your question.

0 votes
Sandy Johnson April 12, 2016

I had the same question. We use Comala Workflows to assign ownership of our pages. So changing an owner would involve change the label associated to a role or changing the person associated to the role in the backend table.

0 votes
Jesse Finkelstein April 12, 2016

Another person initially created my team's page on Confluence. We would now like the ownership to be switched to my name, so that all notifications are directed toward my inbox. Is this possible?

0 votes
Aleks Yenin (Polontech)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 12, 2016

Hi Jesse,

In order to change the author of a page/blogpost you will need to apply some database manipulation as there's no straightforward method to achieve that currently:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Changing+Usernames

Just be sure to take a database backup and involve your DBA in this process before changing anything.

Regards,
Alex

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 12, 2016

What do you mean by "page ownership?" 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events