Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do i search only within a space?

Victor Prasad April 1, 2016

Hello,

When I navigate to a space then use the search, it search all of Confluence.  How do I get it to search only within the Space I am in?

Thanks,

Mr. V

6 answers

5 votes
Peter T
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 1, 2016

Hi Victor,

you can control the space where the search operates from the the search result page - see here:

image2016-4-1 16:32:50.png

The quick search box at the top right corner always searches everything.

Aaron Wright August 15, 2017

Why is this only on the search results page? This means I have to first run a completely BS search just to get to the page where I want to search for something specific.

The absence of an "Advanced Search" CTA of any kind has always perplexed and frustrated us.

Like # people like this
3 votes
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 15, 2017

Victor, if you are running your own server you may add the Livesearch Macro to the space sidebar using the wiki markup example toward the bottom of this page: Livesearch Macro

You would go to Space Tools>Look and Feel>Sidebar, Header and Footer to add the macro to the sidebar.

crynearson May 15, 2018

What I don't understand is that this use to be an option for a space admin, to restrict search to the current wiki space instead of defaulting to a global search. Why did Atlassian remove this option from Confluence?

Telling people to add YASF (Yet Another Search Field) to the pages, just confuses most end users and adds unnecessary elements to the UI.

Like # people like this
2 votes
Paul Romanus September 25, 2018

Prehaps just bookmark the constructed search url for the space :

https://<root>/confluence/dosearchsite.action?cql=space+%3D+%22<space name>%22

Paul Romanus September 25, 2018
1 vote
Alex Yasurek
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 1, 2016

Hi,

There is also a live search macro that you can add to a page which you can set to only search the current space. The problem is that it lives on the page so if you want it to appear on every page you would need to add it to every page. The other option would be to have a custom theme where you can add this macro to the left navigation or somewhere else on the UI.

Deleted user July 27, 2018

How do you get the live search macro only to search the space that you are in?

Like AER IT Procurement likes this
0 votes
Dan Svantesson May 28, 2021

For an end user in case there is no macro to limit search within the space.

This is how you would do it (using the cloud edition). Click in the search field and press <enter> or select "Confluence Advanced Search". In this view you can use space as search filter.

0 votes
Daniel Berkich May 8, 2019

If you have admin rights and the markdown macro installed on confluence cloud, put this in the "space tools" -> "look and Feel" ->Header box

{markdown}
<script type="text/javascript">
AJS.toInit(function() {
AJS.$("#quick-search fieldset").append(AJS.$('<input type="hidden" name="searchQuery.spaceKey" value="YOURSPACENAME" />'));
});
</script>
{markdown}

Substitute YOURSPACENAME with you space name

Everett Cavazos July 17, 2019

when you say "YOURSPACENAME" do you mean the full name of the space? or the space key?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events