How do I turn a wiki page into a template?

n0173439 December 20, 2022

We have a wiki site with project-level documentation. We'd like to take a current page and turn it into a template for use across projects. Is there a way to do that or do we need to copy/paste the content into a template?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Sam Lucas
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 21, 2022

Hi @n0173439 ! Currently the best way to do this is to just copy the contents on your source page and then go to Site Settings and create a custom global template. If you do not need the template for ALL spaces, you can create the custom template at your space level. You will need to be an admin of the space or site to do one or the other. 

https://support.atlassian.com/confluence-cloud/docs/administer-global-templates/

We have noted that our community would like an easier way to turn a page into a template for both a specific space or globally.

- How often do you turn existing pages into templates vs. create templates from scratch? 

Thanks! 

n0173439 December 21, 2022

Hi Sam, thanks for the guidance. We will use this workaround.

It's not that often that we would need to do this, but the impact is fairly time-consuming. We create new templates a few times per year within our sites. The specific page that we'll copy into a template has a bunch of separate sections and formatted tables, so that's why we were looking for a workaround. No worries that there isn't one currently, but I'd love to see that in a future update!

Thanks!

-Jen

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 20, 2022

OOTB you would use copy/paste. I am unaware of any add-on that would change that requirement.

n0173439 December 21, 2022

Thanks Jack

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events