How do I restrict new users to certain Confluence spaces only?

Bar T June 28, 2016

As an admin, I want to add a new user (contractor) to certain Confluences spaces only.

By default, they should not be able to see other pages on Confluence (cloud) unless specifically added to do so.

Currently when I add a user, they are by default "confluence-users" and area able to see all spaces. I tried restricting the access under 

wiki/admin/permissions/viewdefaultspacepermissions.action but when I uncheck the "All" box for "confluence-users" they disappear from the permissions page.  Help!

3 answers

0 votes
Paul Dennis November 14, 2016

This is a problem if you remove from confluence-user from they cannot see any space.

I have created a new "user manual" space  and also a new group for permission. I have a new user and I am trying to restrict the permissions so that new user can only see the user manual space. The new user is only a member of the new group and the this group has permission to view and edit the user manual space.

However when you log on the user does not have any permissions and cannot see any space. It would appear this is because the user is not a member of confluence-users only the new group. If I make the new user a member of confluence-user they can then see the spaces.

I do not want the new user to be a member of confluence-users as this will then  give permission for my other spaces.

Has anyone seen this ? the only workaround I can think of  would be to now edit all of my space is to restrict confluence-users which I do not want to do.

Paul

Paul Dennis November 14, 2016

User have to be a member of confluence-users there is no other solution conference uses this group to populate the drop-down user search option within a page. Therefore you cannot remove a user from this group. I had to go through and edit my space missions to resolve this.

0 votes
Bar T June 29, 2016

Got my answer from support.

All new confluence users are automatically added in to the 'confluence-users' group which is allowing them to view the contents of any spaces that allows that group permission. You would want to remove the entire 'confluence-users' group if you're wanting new users to not automatically see content from everyone's space. You can then edit permissions to allow specific groups or users access to the space to view or make changes.

0 votes
Milo Test
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 29, 2016

Just remove the contractors from the confluence-users group.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events