How do I remove users from the Individual Users Permissions list for a specific Space?

Sal Quintanilla February 3, 2015

I'm new to Confluence, and created a team space with 20 or so members.  I realize now that in my case it would be better to create a group, allowing me to add / remove members and modify rights for the whole team easily.

I know how to make a group and add it to the permissions list.  In addition to that, I'd like to remove the currently listed individual users so that there are no doubts about rights, and to make things easier to manage.  Unfortunately there are no trash cans next to users, and the only control I see is the gear that lets you select or deselect All per user.

Is there a way to delete users from the Individual Users list under Permissions?

3 answers

6 votes
TomC
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 3, 2015

Sal,

Deselecting all per user and clicking the Save All buttion will delete individual Users from the permissions list. Also, an old trick from before they had the Deselect All gear option that still works is just to deselect the View option (first checkbox to the far left) and then saving.

Cheers,

Tom

Florian Grau February 27, 2018

This doesn't seem to work.

See attached screenshot - three users without any permissions still show up and are not automatically deleted, after "Deselect All" and "Save".

Any other ideas?

Slice.png

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 3, 2015

Use the gear to "deselect all", then save the change.  If a user has no ticks at all on a row, they will be dropped off the permissions.

TomC
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 3, 2015

You're quick, Nic!

Sal Quintanilla February 3, 2015

Wow... that's just, I suppose interesting is the nicest thing I can say about that interface. Thanks, that helps a lot.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 3, 2015

I think they've tried to "simplify" the clutter on the screen there, and it's lost some of it's intuitivity because of it (I have no idea if "intuitivity" is a real word, but it feels right here. And probably on a scrabble board too...)

Florian Grau February 27, 2018

This doesn't seem to work.

See attached screenshot - three users without any permissions still show up and are not automatically deleted, after "Deselect All" and "Save".

Any other ideas?

Slice.png

0 votes
Kristin Bitler December 3, 2015

I have an additional question to this - if the users are removed under the Individual Users permissions but are a part of the group, will they still have access under the group permission? (Basically, does the removal of permissions at the individual permissions cancel the granting of permissions via the group.

Thanks,

Kristin

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 3, 2015

The group has access, and they're in the group. If it didn't work that way, groups would be pointless as access control items.

Kristin Bitler March 28, 2018

Wow, that was so many years ago and right when I was starting out with Atlassian products! Agreed - it seems funny now that I would even ask that question.

james Gilpatrick May 13, 2020

Interesting!  I was looking for a Delete button

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 13, 2020

I think almost all of us look for a delete button. 

The remove method does make sense and it is horribly simple, but maybe a little too much - as it make me have to think!

Like Frank Neidhöfer likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events