How do I publish my website?

Everytime I try to access my website through the server base URL I keep getting a DNS error. How can I fix this?

2 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

You need the DNS servers to be set up to know where your server is.  Who looks after them for you?

Is there a way to set them up myself? I am also trying to make my desktop into a server. Right now my internet provider is my university.

Well, you could run a DNS server on a machine somewhere (including the Confluence server), but just running a DNS server doesn't mean anyone will use it.  Your ISP needs to put the DNS entries into their DNS servers for other people to pick it up.

How would I run a DNS server? This is my first time trying to set up a server for a website so I don't really know much. Any info is great help.

Download and install one.  A lot of people use BIND, but that's quite a heavyweight.  dnsmasq is a lot lighter and easier for the basics.

However, putting a DNS server on a network can be risky if you aren't careful with it.  If you're doing this on a network you don't own, you could cause problems.

This widget could not be displayed.

Without a DNS server, you might be able to reach it using the port (the default is 8090).

Try browsing to https://[baseurl].com:8090

Thanks. Would this work on a LAN at least?

Possibly.  If the LAN is set up to know that your baseurl should resolve to your server.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Monday in Confluence

Why start from scratch? Introducing four new templates for Confluence Cloud

Hi my Community friends!  For those who don't know me, I'm a product marketer on the Confluence Cloud team - nice to meet you! For those of you who do, you know that I've been all up in your Co...

477 views 6 6
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you