How do I lookup from a phone directory?

Dimitrios Zlitidis December 1, 2011

Hi all,

I am going to have a phone directory in Confluence. I am thinking that this directory will have a tabular format. That is, it may have 2 columns; one with name and the other with telephone.

In the same space I will have separate pages with the users, each user will have a separate page. I want to look up their telephone number and add it in their page.

Any ideas how to start?

Thank you very much,

Dimitris

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Remo Siegwart
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 1, 2011

You could use the Metadata plugin for this. It even offers a users-report macro that lets you generate a report of all the users, showing any metadata attached to the user. For users with personal spaces, the metadata is fetched from the space, while for regular users the metadata is fetched from their profile.

Dimitrios Zlitidis December 4, 2011

Thank you for your quick reply! My requirements, though, are quite different. Users won't add their detailes, e.g. telephone or email to their profile. There will be a page in a space called Phone Direcotry. Then I will have a page in this space with separate pages for each department of the company. In each department there will be tha personel. In these separate pages of the personel I want to look up the telephone numbers in the Phone Directory Page and show them in each page.

Any thoughts on that?

Thank you!

Remo Siegwart
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 4, 2011

With the Metadata plugin you would usually do it like this:

1. Add a page for every person with the following wiki markup:

{metadata-list}
|| Name | John Doe |
|| Phone | 012 345 67 89 |
{metadata-list}

2. Then on the parent page you could create a report of the metadata like this:

{metadata-report:Name,Phone}

I know this is the other way around as you want it, but it should give you an example on how to use the metadata macros. You can find lots of other examples in the documentation.

Hope this helps

Dimitrios Zlitidis December 5, 2011

It worked great! Thanks for the guidance and inspiration!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events