cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
  • Community
  • Products
  • Confluence
  • Questions
  • How do I invite users to only view my page? I would like my office to be able to regularly view my Confluence space/wiki without have the ability to edit it.

How do I invite users to only view my page? I would like my office to be able to regularly view my Confluence space/wiki without have the ability to edit it.

Charlotte Van Remortel June 21, 2016

3 answers

0 votes
Milo Test
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 22, 2016

Just use Page Restrictions to make the page editable by you only.

0 votes
TomC
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 21, 2016

Rodney, I'm not sure where you saw the use of a public page?  If Charlotte is using this for her office ("I would like my office .."), of course she can create the page in a space and provide her office mates with the space permissions (Space Tools>Permissions) necessary to be able to view only and not edit pages or attachments and that's it. 

If it's in a general space open to a wider base of employees as well, she can then utilize page restrictions (Tools>Restrictions) and restrict edit rights to herself (and if necessary, add view rights to just her and her team...otherwise the space permission view rights will govern) to keep it private for her team and yet restrict editing to just herself.

As for "How do I invite users to only view my page?", I'm not sure you really want an answer to that but of course the two easiest once you have it ready are to click the Share Icon available on each page or to get the Tiny Link (Tools>Link to this page..) and send by traditional means such as email or IM.

Rodney Hughes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 21, 2016

Hi Tom .... as the saying goes "it depends ..."

The question did not identify the context of the Space and whether her colleagues in the office had individual User accounts with access to the Space

Scenario 1: If the staff have individual User login accounts that access this Space, then either

a) the individual User has been granted View Only Permissions to the entire Space .. but of course must individually login

or

b) the individual User has any manner of Permissions to the entire Space ... but of course must individually login ... then the pages that she wants to put in that Space but wants to make View Only to her colleagues, she simple sets EACH page as Edit Restrictions to herself (Edit Restrictions are not inherited in Child pages) and leaves nothing in the View Restrictions so anyone with access to the Space can see the page but not edit

Scenario 2: If the staff do not have individual log in accounts to the Space, then she can either :

c) create an anonymous User access which doesn't require any login (which makes it a Space visible to the whole world without any login)

or

d) create a single User account with Username "All Office" with a specific password which only she can manage (she won't want anyone changing the password and locking out everyone else) but noting that if someone leaves the company then she should change the password unless she is happy that ex-employees can still see the content. 
Philosophically I don't like generic logins because it is open to abuse that it can be passed on to anyone .. it has no sense of "personal privilege access" that engenders some sense of confidentiality and security about what they find in the Space - if people need to get to the Space AND login anyway, it is better to give them a personal account which can be definitively suspended per User.

TomC
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 21, 2016

Rodney, Thanks for the additional insights and context. And I do agree with "Philosophically I don't like generic logins".

0 votes
Rodney Hughes
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 21, 2016

Unless you have set an "Anonymous User" capability for the Space to make it a public access web page, they would each need to login.

Without knowing what sort of stuff you hold in your Space, you could create a user login account as Username "My Office" with a password you control and grant that user View Only rights to the Space ... you could give them rights to Comment on a page or even Create Blog so there is some interaction with them otherwise they might not bother looking at it as possibly being seen as a bit of self-serving egotism of "here is what I think" (even facebook allows replies to posts)

.. but remember that if someone leaves the company you would need to change the password otherwise they could continue to access the site .. unless that is what you want ... but then why bother keeping it secret login as the whole world would gradually get to know the login

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events