How do I allow a subset of users to only see some pages of a space?

Systems Department July 23, 2012

We have a group of users (Call them GuestUsers) that we only want to be able to see a few specific pages in a Confluence space. We would also like these pages to be able to live in their natural locations in the heirarchy so when full access users view the space it appears logical and normal.

I thought that I could perhaps allow the group GuestUsers in the space permissions and then add a page restriction to the space root page granting only access to Normal Users. Then for each page that I want to be public I would add a read permission for (GuestUsers). This did not seem to work though as the GuestUsers cannot view the root page so they see nothing.

Does anyone know how I can give a group read access to a subset of pages that may be nested amongst pages that they are not supposed to see?

Thank you

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
RianA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 23, 2012
Systems Department July 23, 2012

The approach outlined in that document does not quite do what I was hoping. Basically with that approach you have to place all of the pages that you want GuestUsers to access at the root of the space. What I am hoping for is GuestUsers to be able to access some pages that are nested amongst pages they cannot access.

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 23, 2012
You can only restrict pages, not open it to someone, who is not allowed to see the parent page. One of the problems is the page hierarchy. How should a page be displayed, if the parent pages should not be seen ? Should it flow somewhere in the page tree ?

We had the same problem as you and solved it like it is described in the document Rian mentioned. This works quite well but of course you are not as free in designing the space tree as you might want to be.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events