Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can we downgrade Confluence from 4 to 3.5

Dmitry Budnik October 26, 2011

Hello,

As I've mentioned before, we really need the wiki markup tab.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-23662

WYSIWYG is buggy, and when you use custom formating for PDF documents it kinda works by Mondays, but never works by Tuesdays.

It's a painfull decision, but we need to downgrade to a stable version of your product. Is there a way do migrate the data from 4 to 3.5?

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Joe Clark
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 26, 2011

Data migrations in Confluence are one-way. Once you've upgraded your dataset to a new version, it can't be downgraded.

If you have a backup (you do backup your production instance before upgrades, right? :)) you can use your old dataset to run against the previous version.

Dmitry Budnik November 10, 2011

Thank you for your answer. Unfortunately we could not use a backup as long as we would loose a week of work. Anyway thank you for making things clear.

0 votes
Cheyenne Bryant April 5, 2012

Dmitry, that's wonderfully helpful!! Do you also use JIRA, and if so what version are you using with your downgraded Confluence? We are afraid to lose our delta data in a downgrade of JIRA and Atlassian will not assist us.

0 votes

This is the exact same issue that we are running into. Version 4 is far too buggy, even still, and the loss of features is too great. If I find a way to downgrade, I'll update this posting. Dmitry were you able to move back or were you forced to retain version 4?

Dmitry Budnik April 5, 2012

Our linux admin connected DB which was broken by 4-th version to a new install of 3.5. It worked. This way we got the structure of our data. All macros in documents where broken. We took 2 youngest persons in our company and handcuffs for 1 week. They were copiyng data from one browser tab to the second one (from 4.0 WYSIWYG editor to 3.5WYSIWYG editor).

Attlasian could make a downgrade tool a long time ago, but they will never do it. They've got 1000-th of ungry posts on their wiki pages, but they never care. They just keep telling that we are stupid and do not understand how the real cool editor should work!

I saw it many times when coders or "managers" seized the power and developing cool but useless features. :(

So we took the DB and connected it to 3.5. After that we've copied the data manually for those pages where Wiki markup was used. Everything works fine. Default templates should be edited in the admin area, - they have several news macros in 4-th version.

That's it.

Dmitry, that's wonderfully helpful!! Do you also use JIRA, and if so what version are you using with your downgraded Confluence? We are afraid to lose our delta data in a downgrade of JIRA and Atlassian will not assist us.

Dmitry Budnik April 5, 2012

We use JIRA. 4.4.1#660-r161644 it works great and we have no issues with it. I love their changes in admin area. I see no reasons to downgrade the Jira... Didn't see 5-th version yet.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events