How can I select only parts of a space (or only certain headings on a page) when I export to PDF?

Years ago, Confluence allowed us to select exactly what we wanted to export to PDF, I believe on a tag basis. For example, if I created an Installation Guide with the following headings:

1. Plan your installation
  2. Review prerequisites
  3. Back up information and reports
  4. Notify users of installation schedule
  5. Install the product

If I only wanted the information in sections 3 and 4 when exporting to PDF, I used to be able to do that.  Is there a macro that I can run, or something I've overlooked? (Appreciate your understanding...I'm coming back to Confluence after being "away" for about 4 years, so I'm rusty!).  Thanks for your help!

2 answers

0 vote

Have a look at this, there is a NoPrint macro you can add to hide content. https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/advanced-pdf-export-customizations-198806890.html

Hi Mikael - thanks so much for the quick answer!  This is cool, but isn't quite what I was hoping to rediscover.  There used to be a way to select exactly what information you wanted to export to PDF; after clicking Export to PDF, you would see all the headings on the page (and its children, if applicable), with checkboxes to the left of each. You can select all or just select the ones you wanted. The result was like a custom PDF. 

The use case is to enable users/consumers to be able to create their own doc without anyone having to play around with source code or CSS for every instance. 

Maybe the functionality I remember has been disabled?  That's circa 2012...

Thanks again!

Mikael Sandberg Community Champion Sep 20, 2017

As far a I know that function has been disabled, your options are to either use the NoPrint macro, create multiple PDF stylesheet templates or use an app like Scroll PDF to generate PDF templates.

Bummer. That was a great feature. Thanks for the info and for your help!

I see that option available on Confluence 6.4.1. Export > PDF > Custom > (here you select the topics).

Hi Beth,

Our app Scroll PDF Exporter, mentioned by Mikael above, allows you to wrap content into a specific macro to either only display in Confluence, or only display the content in the exported PDF.

Of course this would require to change your content pages, and wrap the content into either one of those macros accordingly, so I'm not sure if this would really help you here.

Anyways, the Scroll PDF Exporter is available in the Atlassian Marketplace, so feel free to test it out using a free evaluation license, if it fits your requirements.

Best,
Nils

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Tuesday in Confluence

We want to see the templates you've created in Confluence!

Hi Community, Jessica here from the Confluence Product Marketing team!  July’s community challenge is all about sharing pictures  — and as an extension of our first post on what ...

416 views 18 9
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you