How can I find text on a page?

Mark Jones July 25, 2017
  • I am using CTRL F which brings up the Confluence Find and Replace panel.
  • BUT, when I enter my text and click the search button, the page does not automatically display the yellow highlighted text.
  • I have to scroll through the whole page to find the yellow highted text.
  • This is possibly a problem with the browser, Chrome Version 40.0.2214.115 - this is the only browser I have access to as is governed by the company I work for.

2 answers

0 votes
Stephen Deutsch
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 26, 2017

This might work:

Press F12 to load the Chrome developer tools, then switch to the "Console" tab. 

Insert the following text after the >:

window.find("searchterm");window.getSelection().focusNode.parentNode.scrollIntoView();

replace searchterm with whatever you're looking for and press Enter. The text should then be selected in grey and present in the viewable area. To find the next instance, press the up arrow key and press Enter.

If there are no more instances of the text in the page, it will do nothing. In order to search for the same term again, you'll have to refresh the page.

0 votes
Stephen Deutsch
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 25, 2017

If you search for the text and press Enter (maybe an additional time) does it jump there? I haven't used Chrome 40 for a long time, so it's hard to say.

Otherwise, maybe you could install a Chrome extension like https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/quick-find-for-google-chr/dejblhmebonldngnmeidliaifgiagcjj (I think you can install a chrome extension even if it's locked down).

Mark Jones July 26, 2017

Thanks Stephen. Unfortunately your suggestion didn't work. And installing a Chrome extension isn't an option, mostly due to security.

I'd like to add that we're using Confluence 5.10.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events