Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I create a custom change ID?

Brandon.Patton April 11, 2017

Hi everyone,

First time poster here - so hopefully this will all make sense. 

We are planning on using Confluence as our document repository for engineering specifications and process documentation. One of the requirements the engineering team has, is that each document should have a specific ID that can be referenced along with all of their other documentation and systems. 

As example - they want to be able to have ITPRC-1001 : <Confluence Page Name>, which as example would dictate that this is an IT Process, document 1001. 

This way a person can type in ITPRC-1001 and immediately get to that page, or for us non-engineers, we can just punch in the title of the page we're looking for. 

We've looked into ScriptRunner, which would make it so I could have a button on the page - but that would mean that the Create button at the top of each page is still there, allowing people to bypass whatever we would setup with ScriptRunner. 

I would also need to dictate what the prefix of the title is on each space - so a Mechanical space would be MPRC, Accounting would be ACPRC, and so forth. 

Has anyone else been successful in imposing document ID numbers in a method similar to this? I know Confluence has it's own ID number scheme, but not being able to search on those numbers within the search system is not ideal for team, unfortunately. 

Looking for any advice, feedback, or "go fish" comments. 

Thanks!

2 answers

0 votes
EPS Software Engineering AG
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 1, 2017

Hi Brandon,

In our Page Tree Creator (PTC) we have a type of tag called consecutive tag. You can combine it with other tags and form the page titles according to your needs.

With the PTC Button Macro you can guide your users during the page creation process. Parameters are which template is used, the destination page, labels to set on the top page, etc.

Check out our LIVE EXAMPLES (no registration needed).

Give it a try: Marketplace Link Page Tree Creator.

Regards,
Stephan

0 votes
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 1, 2017

Welcome first timer!

You can use HTML to force the Create button to use a specific template:

How to override quick create page button in Confluence 5.9.x

You can develop a template to do the prefixed titles:

Page Templates

Hope that's a start!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events