How can I copy a complete draw.io diagram and then edit the copy only?

I have a draw.io diagram on a Confluence page. I want to copy that diagram to another page and then edit it there.

The "Duplicate" button works, but only when copying the diagram to the same page.

If I select an existing diagram after pressing "Insert - Draw.io Diagram", I cannot edit it. There are 2 variations of this:

• If I select "Link to diagram", it is just plain not editable.
  • If I click "Select" instead, the "Save" button in draw.io seems at first to let me save the diagram with a new name, but it also clears all content from the diagram.

So what I am stuck with is the complete inability to create an editable copy of a diagram. And actually I can't move a diagram from one Confluence page to another.

2 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

Go to the page you want to insert the new diagram and insert a draw.io diagram from the insert menu. In the dialog that appears select "search" on the left:

Screen Shot 2015-06-02 at 19.14.28.png

search for the original diagram by name and then select it from the results. This will insert a clone of that original in that page.

The reason we do it this way only is to enforce a page revision to be created of that page, so it happens within the edit flow of that specific page.

It would also appear in the recent diagrams list if you changed it recently.

This widget could not be displayed.

Hi David,

Thank you for your answer. I have tried the method you describe several times, and just to make sure I tried it again now and recorded the exact steps I followed. Here is my result.

Steps taken:

1. Click "Edit" on a confluence page
  2. In page editor, select "Insert"->"Draw.io diagram"
  3. In Draw.io popup, choose a diagram from "Recent diagrams" and click "Select".
  4. Diagram editor opens.
  5. Try to change something in the diagram - not possible, the diagram is not editable. I cannot insert shapes or move or edit shapes.
  6. Click "Save". A filename popup appears with default file name. Enter the new name "newtestDrawing1.xml" and click "Save"
  7. Diagram turns completely blank. All content is gone. In the top bar to the right of the "Help" menu, a text says "Error loading file"

So this procedure does not work for me. I hope you have a solution for this.

Yes, there seems to be a bug there, we've assigned an engineer to look at it. As a workaround for now, you can copy and paste a diagram within from the original to a new blank diagram to make a copy.

Thank you for fixing this. I am looking forward to an updated version without the bug. I don't think your workaround works. This is what I have done: 1. Open a blank diagram in a Draw.io editor in one browser tab 2. Open an existing diagram in a Draw.io editor in another browser tab. 3. In the existing diagram: "Edit->Select All" and "Edit->Copy" 4. In the new diagram: "Edit->Paste" <-- This menu item is greyed out and not working. I am using Firefox on Linux if that matters.

Use ctrl-C and ctrl-V instead of the edit menu for copy and paste. It's not technically possible to access the system clipboard from a browser using the menus.

Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V works. Do you have a time estimate on when the bugfix will be rolled out? I am in the process of deploying Confluence to more users and I have to make a decision between Gliffy and Draw.io. I favour Draw.io because of more advanced features, but I will be unable to defend that decision if basic functionality like copying a diagram just doesn't work.

It's marked as critical, https://desk.draw.io/browse/DFC-104, so it'll be in the next release. The release will probably out when it's fixed. It's hard to give an exact date, but it'll be during June.

Thanks for the update.

5.1.1 contains a fix for the issue. Please update to that. Thanks for the report.

I have updated and I can confirm that I can now create a new diagram from a copy of an existing diagram. Thank you for the fix. It came just in time for some demonstrations of the tool that I have coming up.

Hi David, After updating our draw.io plugin into evaluation license, All of my diagrams stills show with the “draw.io evaluation copy” and I’m unable to edit them. But I can create new one and able to update the same..

@Mahendran Hi. Could you create a support request at https://desk.draw.io/servicedesk/customer/portal/7/create/24 detailing the problem. We'd need the Confluence version, current plugin version, plugin version you upgraded from(if any). Thanks.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Sep 17, 2018 in Confluence

Why start from scratch? Introducing four new templates for Confluence Cloud

Hi my Community friends!  For those who don't know me, I'm a product marketer on the Confluence Cloud team - nice to meet you! For those of you who do, you know that I've been all up in your Co...

564 views 7 6
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you