How can I change my @mention handle?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote

You can change it via the Profile option in the drop down menu available from your avatar in the top right corner of your HipChat desktop client (web or native client). Here is a quick video that shows the process. 

http://www.screencast.com/t/s6X6OMXt7ea3

Thanks Daniel! That worked a treat for Hipchat! 

I believe this is driven by username/fullname attributes - changing these would do it. Though if connected via LDAP/AD for user management you can change this via the givenname + sn  via the DisplayName attribute.

Is it broken?

Your @mention handle is your username.  When accounts are created the local part of your email address is used as the default username.  So if your email address is JohnDoe@example.com, your username would default to JohnDoe, and therefore your @mention handle as well.

I don't know how this works in HipChat, but in Confluence only a site admin can change usernames.  It's a trivial task, but you do need permission to access User Management, which only site admins can normally do.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Kesha Thillainayagam
Posted Apr 13, 2018 in Confluence

We want to hear how your non-technical teams are using Confluence!

Hi Community! Kesha (kay-sha) from the Confluence marketing team here! Can you share stories with us on how your non-technical (think Marketing, Sales, HR, legal, etc.) teams are using Confluen...

2,691 views 25 10
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you