How Can an Admin Lock Down a Page Hierarchy?

Zod December 12, 2022

It used to be that on the Server version of Confluence (ie. the GOOD version) you couldn't move pages in a hierarchy without first having access to the Space Tools at the base of the Navigation Sidebar.

Now in the Cloud version (at least at the "Standard" level), you've made a Navigation Sidebar TOO moveable.

At present, any random content contributor can just accidentally drag their mouse in the wrong place, and screw up an entire corporate documentation hierarchy. This makes it absolutely impossible for those trying to manage content, to keep things consistently organized.

If you are running a REAL company with thousands of users, and hundreds of thousands of pages, maintaining a coherent, conceptually-related page hierarchy within a space, isn't a "nice to have" it's an absolute organization MUST, that without which, makes Confluence utterly useless.

At present, I cannot seem to find a way to lock down access to page moving capabilities alone, to specific user groups (ie. Space Admins).

If there IS a mechanism to do this which I am missing, I need to know how to accomplish that immediately.

If this absolutely critical feature is only available either only within the "Enterprise" level of the Cloud version, or on the Data Center version of Confluence, we'll need to know that as well.

So far, Cloud is awful beyond measure. Half functionality as compared to Server, WAY too much white space, it's just not a serious Technical Documentation application for grown-ups. It's too busy trying to be some cheesy phone app, instead of something which technicians can use for complex documentation on their desktops.

Even the new default of wasting 2/3rds of the screen real estate by squeezing text to a central column shows you don't actually know how your largest customers actually USE your app.

One of my SME code documentation contributors referred to going from Server to Cloud as, "It's like going from a Corvette that occasionally needs a tune-up, to a golf cart with low oil and a busted wheel."

We need to know if the Data Center version is any better and more closely resembles the high-functioning Server version (which was PRISTINE by comparison), or if we need to abandon Confluence altogether. This will impact almost every large-scale entertainment, tech, and aerospace company in Los Angeles, so gee, it'd really be nice to know if Atlassian is still going to offer a real technical documentation platform, or not.

1 answer

0 votes
Zod December 12, 2022

There are others who've noticed this massive functionality gap, and a ticket has been started related to that here: 

However, I still need an answer with regards to other versions, as this functionality (or the lack thereof) will effect corporate purchase decisions.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events